New VS pump - best size

Aug 13, 2018
Augusta/Kansas
They are getting ready to start up my new pool and I am already thinking I made a mistake and should have installed a VS pump (since they have plumbed it in they will not change it out). Current pump is 1.5hp Hayward SuperPump. Pool is 18x36 rectangle with short runs of 2" pipe to pool. 21,000 gallons. Filter is standard Hayward pro series.

I don't currently have SWG but will be self installing one in the spring (Hayward Gold Line).

I am thinking about swapping pump (self install) to Pentair but wondering if I should go 1.5hp or 3hp and run at lower speeds. The money difference between the two does not bother me. Just been reading that motor running at lower speeds uses less energy, runs quieter and lasts longer. Any truth to this? Am I stupid for wanting to swap out a brand new pump?

Thanks.

Re: New VS pump - best size

A VS pump will consume a fraction of the energy that your 1.5 hp will. Go with the 3 hp VS pump. They are variable HP, so you just use what you need.

You do not get a very good warranty from Pentair on a DIY install. Some members have used Amazon to buy an Intelliflo VS pump and then purchase the extended warranty through Amazon. Not sure any one has tested it, but the paper work looks good!

On top of what's already been mentioned, I might add that it's often a good idea to match brands between the pump and SWG, as they tend to "talk to each other" better when they're the same brand. This is particularly true if you plan on adding automation anytime in the future.

Easy to switch the motor to a 2-speed version on your existing pump. Just run on low most of the time. That is the cheapest upfront option and will be you most of the electrical savings.

Was looking at equipment that PB installed. Contract says Hayward 1.5 hp pump. Pump installed is 1hp with a SF of 1.1. Is there something I don’t understand about pumps or did I get shorted per contract? Pump has not been wired yet just PVC connected.

Model installed is c48k2n143b1
Hayward Superpump 700

That is not 1.5hp.

Negotiate. Work on a deal to swap to a two speed or VS ------

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.