New vinyl pool saltwater startup

Jobin807

Aug 14, 2020
Kennewick, wa
Hi,

Our pool liner will be installed next Monday and should take a couple days to fill. It is roughly 20k gallons and will have a Pentair IC40 cell. I purchased the TF-Pro with smart stir. I will test the water before adding any chemicals. My question is do I start up the pool with liquid chlorine or with bags of salt? What other chemicals do I need to have on hand? I have tried to search the forum but could not find the answer. Thanks!

You will need some liquid chlorine for the first couple days at least. Once full, add about 2-3 ppm of liquid chlorine and get a sock soaking with stabilizer (CYA goal of 70). At the same time, dump the salt because it needs 24 hours to mix. After 24 hours, turn on the SWG to perhaps setting of 50% or so and monitor the FC to ensure it's holding within the recommended range noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Supplement with liquid chlorine as needed so it never falls below the minimum level. Besides the FC and CYA, balance the pH next followed by TA. Test the CH as FYI, but with vinyl you won't need to add any.

You will need some liquid chlorine for the first couple days at least. Once full, add about 2-3 ppm of liquid chlorine and get a sock soaking with stabilizer (CYA goal of 70). At the same time, dump the salt because it needs 24 hours to mix. After 24 hours, turn on the SWG to perhaps setting of 50% or so and monitor the FC to ensure it's holding within the recommended range noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Supplement with liquid chlorine as needed so it never falls below the minimum level. Besides the FC and CYA, balance the pH next followed by TA. Test the CH as FYI, but with vinyl you won't need to add any.

Thank you for the info!

Ok so PB came to set up the pool when I was at work today. He told me that his distributer was out of liquid chlorine so he ended up just adding 4 bags of salt. He has the pump running at 2700 rpm and has the SWG turned on. I am planning on getting liquid chlorine on the way home but what do I need to do about the salt that he added? Thanks

The salt will just dissolve and get mixed in the water. SWGs should be turned on until at least 24 hrs after adding salt. But until then be sure someone added stabilizer. We recommend a CYA of 70 for SWGs. Supplement with chlorine as much as needed until you get the SWG dialed-in.

The salt will just dissolve and get mixed in the water. SWGs should be turned on until at least 24 hrs after adding salt. But until then be sure someone added stabilizer. We recommend a CYA of 70 for SWGs. Supplement with chlorine as much as needed until you get the SWG dialed-in.
He didn't add stabilizer. I have some that I will put into a sock when I get off work. Should I just hang it by one of the skimmers. I haven't tested the water yet but how much stabilizer would I need for 21000 gallons.

New water has no CYA, so a 21K pool would need 12 lbs (3-4 tube socks - ha). You can hang them just about anywhere or leave in the skimmer as long as you don't completely stop water flow. But do NOT let them rest against your new liner. They are acidic and can bleach the liner. After they have soaked for about 30 min, start squeezing out all the mush. If you're worried about over-shooting the CYA of 70, you can go with 11 lbs at first. You can always add more later if needed.

New water has no CYA, so a 21K pool would need 12 lbs (3-4 tube socks - ha). You can hang them just about anywhere or leave in the skimmer as long as you don't completely stop water flow. But do NOT let them rest against your new liner. They are acidic and can bleach the liner. After they have soaked for about 30 min, start squeezing out all the mush. If you're worried about over-shooting the CYA of 70, you can go with 11 lbs at first. You can always add more later if needed.
Thank you! Just one more question. Can I just turn off the swg when I get home?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should I add more? Also my ph is high and at 8.2.
Absolutely! You added the stabilizer correct? So until the SWG is operational, refer to the FC/CYA Levels and add enough bleach to match your current CYA. Definitely lower the pH to about 7.5-7.6.

Yes got the ph down to 7.5. Have added stabilizer. Cya was at 30 so I added more. I put in a little less than suggested. Added the salt tonight and will turn on swg tomorrow.
Absolutely! You added the stabilizer correct? So until the SWG is operational, refer to the FC/CYA Levels and add enough bleach to match your current CYA. Definitely lower the pH to about 7.5-7.6.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.