New Vinyl Liner Help

DJROSENTHAL

Mar 3, 2021
Maryland
Hi Friends,

We just finished a pool and patio renovation, with the pool company dropping the new liner and filling the pool this past Monday. Swimming last night with my daughter, I noticed a roughly 1 inch around rock under the vinyl liner near the deep end. From the feel of the rock (through the liner), it seems somewhat jagged, and I am worried that over time the bulge that it is creating will create a weak spot in the liner and could increase the risk that it will fail sooner than normal life expectancy.

I don't really care about the aesthetics or feel (can't see from outside the pool and its in the deep end), but more concerned about its impact on the life of the liner. Am I worrying about nothing, do these types of things happen, what should I do? Should I accept it, notify the pool company and demand that they empty the pool and remove the rock, keep swimming and ask them to remove at the end of the pool season? IMG_4602.jpg

Reference image of the pool attached, but I can't take a picture of the rock - too hard to see.

Thanks for your help!

DJ Rosenthal
Potomac, MD

What mil thickess is your liner?

Lets see what @jimmythegreek says.

I would let your pool company know and see what they say.

Last edited:
How deep is the water over the rock? Honestly lots of pools have pebbles and bumps, and it's fine. Even a well swept pool can have a clump pop as your dragging the liner and setting it. It's happened to me a few times. I spend extra time while liner is on vacuum going nuts on the pool floor with a fellow OCD employee eyeballing the floor on hand and knees. That doesnt look horrible shape wise, but it's a huge pain to get out. They would likely slit the liner, and then remove and patch. Make your contractor aware amd let him know your not happy at all. Maybe he will drain amd pop the liner back if its an easy spot to get to

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.