New variable speed pump

Aug 1, 2016
Ponca City, Ok
Turns out my pump is fried, so we are getting a Hayward Maxflo VS pump from a neighbor (long story on why he has a spare pump). Any recommendations on setting the speeds and times?

It’s pretty warm right now. High 90’s with heat indexes over 100. We have cottonwood trees around us and we get a lot of cotton and dirt in our pool. We run the pump 24/7 because of this.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Start here: Determine Pump Run Time

Variable speed pumps are awesome because the exponential relationship between flow rate and power usage means you can often drop your electricity bill down to10-20% of what it used to be while only decreasing your flow rate by half. So if you do find it necessary to run your pump for 12 or more hours a day to keep the pool free of debris, turning down the speed will help ensure you aren't wasting energy and money.

Reactions: Johnsbd
I run mine fast (~3500rpm) for a couple hours in the morning to skim the pool, then slow for about 8 hours. Slow = the minimum speed that allows my heater to run. If you have a salt generator, you will want to run it fast enough so it can work. I'm not sure why I picked 8 hours, but it seems tp work.

There is no right or wrong answer. Do whatever works for you (and your pool equipment).

Reactions: Johnsbd and Endro32
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.