new vanishing edge pool construction - decking workmanship question

ff2014

Feb 11, 2019
California
I've been lurking here for several months. Have learned a lot from this helpful, friendly community. Thank you!

We started our pool build about 10 weeks ago. Decking was completed a few days ago. It is a vanishing edge design, 19' x 26' with a 6' x 6' spa.

I've been very happy with the process and the builder. My only concern has been with the decking. To me, it looks like poor workmanship. Here are some examples:
In the first picture, you can see the edge close to water is not straight. It juts 1/2 to 1 inch after the 2nd cut line, and then goes back. It looks a bit worse in person.
About half the corners flare out at the edge as shown in the picture with the shoe.
Some edges don't line up at the cut line.
The last picture shows an example of many instances where it just looks sloppy.

So my questions are:
Am I being too picky, or should I insist that this be remedied?
My wife is worried that if they try to fix it, it might end up looking worse. Is that a concern, or are these easy fixes?
If I had to pick one, the crooked edge (first picture) is the case that bothers me the most.

Thanks again for all help!

Sloppy is as sloppy does. The problem having it "fixed" is if they use the same person, it could come out looking worse. And there is no easy way to fix something like that without the repair showing. I would bring up your concerns to the builder and see what he says. He might have a better installer that could do the finish work. You might also agree to have the builder give you a $500 or so credit on the sloppy job.

I don't think you'll notice the waterline tile changes once the plaster is added, especially if you're doing a larger aggregate finish, as opposed to a quartz/smooth one. As for the concrete, I'd talk to the PB about either living with it (and getting a credit) or if grinding it down is an option, which may depend on if the pigment is mixed throughout the concrete or painted on.

I like it. It looks organic and plays nicely with the stamp design. But that is just me. It would drive my Type-A personality wife absolutely bonkers.

I will say my major concern is the "pointy" corners and heads. I would ask if they could work on that. As for the other stuff.......it looks fine as NO ONE else will even notice it. All they will see is the pretty pool and the fun time they are having enjoying it!!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: darceync
theres no way to fix it without ripping those sections out. the aggregate underneath is concrete color and its just a little bit of pigment on top. it could be worked with a diamond grinder and then a color match but I think that would stand out worst than what you have now. its not horrible they all have a little variation to them i would have them fill the voided areas and it will slowly disappear with time to your eyes

Thank you all for your helpful responses!
My wife mentioned that the mix came out of the tube already colored. However, the last pic seems to indicate that only the top layer is colored. If that's the case, sounds like an attempted fix is not worth the risk of it looking worse.
I've already brought it up with the builder, and they passed it on to the concrete sub. The sub hasn't responded.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everyone should have a square on a job site. No excuse for out of square anything these days but it's not horrible overall they at least got really nice texture. Looks like color dusted mix rarely do you see true pigmented concrete and the one pic shows some gray now that I look at it. He hires the subs it's his problem. I ate a job like that once I liened the sub and got paid 4 years later one third my loss. It sucked!

Wow, 4 years later and only one third! Sorry to hear that.

This thread has helped me realize that their work was sloppy in places, but not horrible. Now I know I can lean on the builder to at least polish up a few things.

On a related note... they have a 3 year warranty for cracks. I already see a 2 foot crack in a very visible location - in the corner where the entrance step is. Made me wonder - how do they "fix" these cracks without it looking worse?

I have three thoughts:

1) You should have them do what will make you happy.
2) You should consider if cure is worse than the disease.
3) You should work on being comfortable with less than ideal results.

These are of course all competing things so all can't be done. The last one isn't meant to be sarcastic, but just an acknowledgement that most of these things all blend together in time and become part of the experience of your backyard. The ones that stand out more for me (generically) are square or rectangular tiles that aren't straight. Your concrete is natural and the variances from perfect seem in step with the mood of the space. Your tile work looks great, and that is the focal point of your project and what I would spend my energy being thrilled with.

Then there's that, "once it's done and you have a beer in your hand" concept. It will all be good.

Reactions: darceync
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.