New vacuum hose doesn't stay on the vacuum head - slips off

anthonypool89

Gold Supporter
Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
Well, guess another case of "they don't make 'em like they used to". Got a new one at the pool store for this season. It slips off the vacuum head. On my old hose, the two ends weren’t the same as they are on this new one. The old hose had a larger, slightly wider coupling that even had written on it “connect this end to skimmer”. The vacuum head is roughly the same size as the opening of the hose end, but it's tapered (larger towards the head), so as you push the new hose on farther, it quickly loosens with use, whereas the old hose end, being larger and longer, stayed on. The old hose definitely had a more sturdy coupler on it. Like anything, I suppose it’s cheaper to make the hoses with the same size ends. Should have expected this decline in quality from my original hose (lasted 30 years). This one especially won’t work for a device that my Dad welded together for me years ago for lowering the pool level in fall. I need that larger end to attach to the device he made (that attaches to the discharge on the pump). Unfortunately, I already threw away the old hose end since what was starting to happen is that the hose separated from the coupler under high pressure while lowering the water level.

Worst part is that the store charged me $60 for this. ? I don't mind that so much if it'd work.

Any suggestions on either how to keep this one or, preferably, does anyone still sell a better hose where the ends are two different sizes? I'm betting that most new vacuum heads are also the same size as the new hose ends, thus avoiding the problem. Thanks.

Last edited:
right now the issue is not sweeping...it's dealing with a white water mold swamp. This is one of those days where I could just dump the water, fill the whole thing in with ground and plant a vegetable garden in there.....who else would have a garden with blue star granite coping around the perimeter??

I was going to say "hose clamp" but your solution will hold even tighter. :) You'll never forget where you left the vacuum head either.

That's what I SHOULD do - leave them permanently together, but I just find it easier to work with the hose after I'm done using it by unbolting from the head. A bit ungainly to coil up the hose with the vacuum head attached to it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.