New toy. Ph meter.

No I didn’t actually because I knew I only needed pH with regulation of temperature. And the only reason I wanted a pH probe was because I had such a horrible time with the colors for the drop test. Are use the salt test that is recommended here and it is so easy to use and very accurate so I stick with that.

I guess if I am already using the test kits for everything else I should just continue to titrate my salt level.

I've been experimenting with a number of TDS meters, and I have another new one on its way.

Thus far I can firmly place the TDS meter in the "don't bother" category. I'll continue to try and chase a good & affordable one down, but that is because I have other non-pool uses I can justify it for. Unfortunately the relationship between salt and other TDS in the pool is handwavingly nebulous if you are chasing accuracy rather than precision. Even if you get an accurate meter and keep it calibrated, TDS in your fill water and chemical addition will continuously move the conversion factor you use to estimate chlorides from the TDS values.

The TDS meter they use at my local pool store is actually pretty good (generally within the 200ppm of the standard-res drop test), but it's an extremely expensive bit of kit that they actually keep well serviced and calibrated. And it's still only +/- ~200ppm. At the moment I'm struggling to get ~700ppm repeatably and accurately, and that's a 15kg bag of salt in my pool. If I relied on the meter I'd currently be a bag up on where I want to be.

The silver nitrate titration measured chlorides directly, isn't influenced by other chemicals or temperature and is all but foolproof (until you spill it down your arm).

I bought one of those SafeDip meters a while ago before I got the Taylor kit for ph. This thing was like $220. Great for temp and salt but not so much for PH (what I really wanted it for). Anyways it calibrated fine to a 7.0 solution. After I calibrated I would do a measurement with the 7.0 solution just to make sure. It read fine. I would then test my pool water on days my Taylor clearly and unmistakenly read 7.5. Meter read 7.2/7.3. I then found out the accuracy of this meter measurement is +\- 0.2. Point being u could be +/- .2 off alk ready on the meter PH. They just aren’t that accurate. This was a high dollar meter. I can’t imagine the accuracy of the cheaper ones they make (I don’t care what they report it is)

i put more of that storing solution in the cap to store it sideways in my case. doesn't leak. that way bulb gets covered.

so calibrating. i called. they said every other day. ya that's a lot. what i do is test it in the 4.0 and the 7.0 solution, cleaning it each time. if they match i do my pool water. if it's off i recalibrate. i got it down now.

i also check against my drop tests.

i know i'm taking way more time than i need to but i really struggle with the colors and my ph is important to me cause it plays such a huge roll in keeping my csi in that negative range but not too negative range based on how much my pool water varies here in pa along with my other numbers.

so i'm still in the play it safe with it phase. i want to see a pattern with how it acts. then i won't do the drop tests anymore.

jimi

I was afraid to store it on it's side with the storage solution in the cap. I store it vertical in a cup??? Tried many ways to store the case where the probe was vertical. Over thinking it, I guess. Do you find the probe out of calibration very often? I have been doing the 3 point calibration (because readings will be above 7.0), do you think I could get by with the 2 point just using the 7.0 and 4.0 buffer solution?

They told me on this thread the 1 point is enough. I did the 2 point so I have another check before I do my pool water till I get used to it. I can store it standing up in a cup. But use the solution in the cap not cup to store it so you use less.

Mine hasn’t leaked yet on its side in the case. But we will see. Like I said I literally have only used it for 1 week so far and only 1 day so far on pool cause I just opened it yesterday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i mean try it laying down if it makes it easier for you. for me i don't want it sitting out all summer. i want everything together so laying it down is where it needs to be. my test kit shares space with my dog's stuff. so far no leaking. but who knows down the road if that rubber ring starts to dry out.

no wrong way. just i guess what makes your life easier. if i could stand it up i would, but like i said i need it in a certain area.

what i'm learning:

after u get the smile face, don't pull the probe out. keep it in for 30 secs or so and it settles down more. since i have been doing this all my readings are far more accurate, either be in a buffer solution or test water.

what i'm learning:

after u get the smile face, don't pull the probe out. keep it in for 30 secs or so and it settles down more. since i have been doing this all my readings are far more accurate, either be in a buffer solution or test water.

Shake the probe around in the test water to get air bubbles off of it. It is the air bubbles that cause erroneous readings.

I don't touch the glass sensor. Just shake off water.

Shake the probe around in the test water to get air bubbles off of it. It is the air bubbles that cause erroneous readings.
Ok cool. I do shake it. And if I shake it again I get a different reading aftercit settles. Very good tip. I appreciate it.

I do like it so far. I know it’s taking me longer but at least now I’m not second guessing myself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.