Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Hello All,

We moved in January and now have the opportunity to enjoy and maintain our 3rd pool. Everything works and we have been isolating in it practically daily, but it does need some TLC and that's where this post comes in. Momma Bear has already scheduled a resurface and paver makeover but that's not all we need. The spa heater is original circa 2007 and I've had to rig it to work but that bypasses the safety features and I'm the only one that can turn it on, plus it's a pilot light and with high propane prices in Florida, I'd rather switch to something more efficient. Our last pool had an older automation with a wireless remote that controlled the heat, lighting, and pump timing and it spoiled me. I'd like to take this one to the next level and skip the remote and be able to use smartphones. Currently this pool is chlorine and the (nitrates/nitrites?) are so high we were told by the local pool stores the only fix is to drain and fill. That should be taken care of when they do the resurface later this month, but I'd like to convert to salt. Finally, the lighting works but appears to be your standard old school screw in incandescent in the pool and spa. I'd like to upgrade to LED that I can also control from the smartphone app. I'm not Daddy Warbucks so I'll be doing this myself to save money and we do have a limited budget so can't go top of the line everything, but we plan to stay here a while, so I'd like it to last. Thanks in advance for all the advice!

TL;DR: I'd like some advice on upgrading these items of our new-to-us ~14k gal pool with spillover spa, all DIY:

1. Automation w/ ability to use smartphone to control - I was looking at the Omnilogic, it's pricy but appears to be all-in-one and able to be programmed by me. Needs to be able to control:
    1. 2 motors, the pool/spa pump and the paramount in floor cleaner pump
    2. 2 lights on the same circuit (pool and spa)
    3. 1 solar actuator - recently added the current Pentair Solartouch and it works great but would like to integrate w/ the rest of the smartphone controls
    4. 2 actuators to change from regular pool mode to spa mode
    5. spa heater - type TBD but leaning towards direct replacement of old 175k BTU LP with upgrade to electronic ignition - not sure I need 175k for just the spa
    6. TBD Salt water chlorinator
  2. Salt-water chlorinator
  3. Spa Heater - currently an old Jandy Lite2 LP w/ pilot light. works but rigged and rickety. Only needs to heat the spa as the solar does a great job of keeping the pool where we like it (about 90 degrees).
  4. LED bulbs, screw in type
Thanks again for taking the time to read my wish list and hope to hear from you DIY Pool Gurus!

Roy

IMG_1279.jpegIMG_1278.jpeg
IMG_1281.jpegIMG_1280.jpegIMG_1283.jpegIMG_1284.jpeg

1. Pentair Intellicenter bundle with IC40 SWG and 2 Intellivalve actuators - Pentair Automation Systems - Further Reading

3. Raypak NG heater

4. Florida Sunseekers or Halco lights

5. You may want to upgrade your filter to a larger cartridge filter

Reactions: bagsofcole
Thanks ajw, I don't have NG as an option but will look into the Raypacs. Dang! That Intellicenter is more than the Hayward unit was was looking at, but I'm getting lots of recommendations for Pentair.

Note that Intellicenter bundle price includes a complete SWG system and two actuators.

Reactions: bagsofcole
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.