New to This

Marines75

Jun 18, 2017
Cold Spring, NY
Hi Guys,

I hope all is well. I just bought a home with a pool and have no idea what to do. I have a 25,000 gal vinyl inground pool with a 300lb Hayward Sand Filter. I have been to 3 different pool stores to test my water and all 3 of them are different. Luckily my pool water is clear. I have bought the Taylor 2006k test kit since I spent over 1,000 dollars on my pool so far. Waiting to test the pool myself once I get the kit. In the meantime, the last pool store told me that my readings have been different because my CYA is 123. They instructed me to drain a foot of water and refill it. I am in the process of doing that now. I also bought stabilizer free chorine tabs that they told me to put in the skimmer once the pool is at the right level. I was wondering if this is correct or if someone has a better idea.

Thank you guys so much for all your help and I look forward to learning from your experiences.

Forever grateful,

Steven

Hello Steven!
I would not do any big water exchanges until you get your kit and do your own water tests. Pool store tests are notoriously incorrect.
I would suggest you remove any solid/stabilized chlorine from your pool. Especially do not put them into the skimmer. When the pump is off they create a very acidic stew in your skimmer that can damage it and when the pump turns on that acidic stew hits your pump and filter. If you decide to ever use solid chlorine products, get a floater to put them in.

Lots of information in Pool School. Go to Getting Started. Start reading.

I would suggest you put 1 gallon of bleach (8.25%, unscented, plain) in the pool each morning and one in the evening, pump running, until you get your test kit. That should stabilize things until you can get some data to show here and we will give you some guidance.

Lots to learn, but once you start doing, it really is easy.

Take care.

Just read your intro thread, and good to see you have started up a seperate one for clearing this up.

This is classic though, three stores, and three different results. Sometimes people ask why we are so hard on pool store testing. Ill be a broken record too by saying the only way to know is test it yourself. We will be here to answer anything that comes up, and I promise we will get you on the right track, never to return here. Looking forward to seeing that happen for you, so Ill be following for sure.

Hi again!

Great news on the test kit! You are off to a good start. Bleach is the way to go morning and night as mentioned. Most likely the tabs they sold you are calcium based if they don't have stabilizer. The people here are giving you the best plan of action until you get your kit.

Im curious about what the $1000 was spent on? What have they been selling you? It's great that the water is clear, but I'll bet it will be beyond clear and all the way to sparkalicious with bleach only.

When does your kit arrive?

Crystal

Thank you guys so much! The 2 prior pool companies never mentioned my CYA level and it seems that I cannot find the printed results. @Paul and Crystal, I had to buy a new dial for my sand filter since the lever broke and with the service fees and parts it added up. Plus every pool store I go to gives me different advice and what chemicals to put in. I get my tester on Wednesday.

This morning, I finished filling the pool and put on the filter while putting in one Gallon of Unscented bleach in, the only problem was that I only could find 6% near me and not 8.25%. I hope thats ok for now? I am gong to home depot today to look for stronger bleach for tonight. I will keep you posted and I look forward to posting my results. I have family coming from Europe this weekend and hopefully can get my pool in tip top shape before they come. I dont know what I would have done if I hadnt found this forum!

Thank again everyone,

Steven

Steven,

Wednesday will be an exciting day! If you have a Walmart near by they sell Pool Esentials Chlorinating Liquid in gallon jugs. It's on the pool isle. It's 10% and runs $3.64. I use it all the time.

Also, Atwood's has a liquid chlorine called On Line. It's also on the pool isle and sometimes is on sale for $1.88 but regular $2.98. Also 10%.

Also check Menards if you have one.

Do you know how to read the Julian date to make sure it's fresh?

Crystal

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.