Btrauber

Dec 17, 2021
Buffalo
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey everyone. This is my first season (Buffalo, NY) using the methods described on this site. After clearing up the pool upon opening, things have gone pretty smoothly. In the last couple of days the water is slightly cloudy. I can still see the bottom, but it's certainly not as clear as it was. I ran the little lady bug around the bottom to clean it up, but I noticed she wasn't getting everything. I took my brush to the bottom and started pushing clouds of brown around. I'm sure that's added to the cloudiness. The overall color is still blue. I guess to finally get to my question, should I go back to SLAMing the water? We have just hit some perfect pool weather in the last couple of days. The kids can finally get in. I'm just hesitant to SLAM if it means keeping them out of the pool for the next few days. I'm just wondering if the filter will take care of my problem. Thanks in advance for any tips. Latest test results below.

17,000 gallon round above ground, vinyl, sand filter

FC - 1.8 (last night) - added 70oz of chlorine per Pool Math
PH - 7.5 - added 1lb of Borax per Pool Math
CYA - 40
TA - 110
CH - 180

Not sure why you added borax, your pH was fine. If fact, if you do want to SLAM, you should have lowered it a little bit with acid.

If you can see the bottom of the pool, the pH is in the 7s and the FC is at or below SLAM level for your CYA you can swim no problem.

I just do what the app tells me to do this year.
The APP is a great tool, but even at its best programming it may not take into consideration all aspects of what's happening. That's why it's good to post here for another opinion. Your FC was low earlier and you added just about a half gallon. I would say add more for today. Even if you don't go to SLAM level yet, and elect to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be sure about algae, increase the FC to about 8 ppm for today. It's perfectly fine to swim in and I'm sure the water needs it. It should never get down below 2, so it's probably under some stress.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.