New to this. Ph levels are fine, TA is high. How?

When I started following this forum I learned that I needed to raise CYA levels to keep chlorine from disappearing which was the issue I was having using the liquid chlorine we bought from Walmart. I used pool conditioner from Menards (can't remember the brand) to raise CYA levels and we are finishing up a small bucket of pucks before transitioning to bleach. The pool is now retaining some chlorine. I ordered the Taylor K2006 testing kit and ran all of the tests this morning. These are my results:

FC: 2
CC: .2
pH: 7.2
TA: 120
CH: 110
CYA: 45

Maybe I am not understanding the science. How can the TA be so high when the pH is 7.2? I just subscribed to the pool math app and it tells me to use acid to reduce pH to 7.2 then aerate to increase pH. What does that mean? I WILL absorb all of this information if it kills me! LOL

Thanks for any help in advance. I will check back when I get a chance, doing some running with my oldest today...

You said you are using pucks. They are acidic. So that is keeping your pH down. Your TA is not an issue to be concerned about unless it drops too low (<50).

You do need to raise your FC -- see FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: JennyFurTin
Aeration is the process of introducing air into the water. This is done by splashing, bubbling etc. You can turn your return so that it faces up and breaks the surface of the water. This causes an out gassing effect that will cause your PH to rise. In a vinyl pool, a TA of 120 is not something I would worry about though and it will gradually decrease through PH adjustments you will make over time. You do, however need to get that FC number up, so that is what I would concentrate on for now.

Edited to add. Throw away the pucks, as mknauss said that is why your PH is on the lower end.

Thank you for your replies, I added the recommended amount of bleach and did so again last night. This morning when I got up to check FC was 4.8. Sun hasn't come over to that side of the house yet, pool is still in the shade. I am so thankful for this forum and for those of you that take the time to answer all of these questions. There is so much misinformation out there. Had I just taken our neighbor's advice ("Throw some pucks in there, everything will be fine, wanna borrow a test strip?") we would have seen trouble, I am sure.

Reactions: jkowskidpm
Thank you for your replies, I added the recommended amount of bleach and did so again last night. This morning when I got up to check FC was 4.8. Sun hasn't come over to that side of the house yet, pool is still in the shade. I am so thankful for this forum and for those of you that take the time to answer all of these questions. There is so much misinformation out there. Had I just taken our neighbor's advice ("Throw some pucks in there, everything will be fine, wanna borrow a test strip?") we would have seen trouble, I am sure.
To be fair - their way works too, but part of their way is draining and refilling the pool every few years when CYA gets too high. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.