New to this and have a question concerning TA and PH

HunterdonBob

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2022
Frenchtown
Very grateful for finding this forum with so much useful information. I 've been unhappy with my pool company and "relieved" them of thir biweeklky service calls. So I'm balancing the pool water myself. It's been a week since I opened the pool and it's in good shape now. The question I have concerns Total Alkalinity and PH. My PH is within the recommended range (7.2 - close to the lower end) and the TA is 128 (slightly beyond the 120 reommended level). I've been going to the pool store (I know, this is temporary until I get on my feet here, but I wanted the pool swimmable) and they recommended lowereing the TA using Dry Acid. My understaning is sure, this will lower the TA but ALSO lower the PH. So the next logical step would be to raise the PH since it will most likely go low, which will also raise TA - this yo-yo act will never end. I'm of the opinion that the pool water is balanced and the 128 TA is nothing to worry about - it's close enough. The water is clear. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

Welcome! :wave: Let's assume the testing is close, leave the TA alone. The pH is more important. Once you get your own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit, post a full set of results and we can all be confident of what actions (if any) are required. Have a nice weekend.

Welcome! :wave: Let's assume the testing is close, leave the TA alone. The pH is more important. Once you get your own TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit, post a full set of results and we can all be confident of what actions (if any) are required. Have a nice weekend.

The Taylor kit is arriving next week. Will report a full set of results then. Thanks!
Bob,

How are you chlorinating your pool now?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Inline Chlorinator with pucks.

The Taylor kit is arriving next week. Will report a full set of results then. Thanks!

Read what Pat posted. Pucks are extremly acidic and push down pH.

I say use liquid acid as it doesn't bring problems that dry acid does. The pool store wants you to use it because they sell it. You can get liquid at other places, usually for less money.

Bob,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Bob,

Thanks,

Jim R.
The pump is on a timer. The Chlorinator is set near the lowest setting. It runs about 8 hours a day total- not consecutive hours. So yes it is being chlorinated .
Thanks

Bob,

Your pH is being kept low because you use tablets which have acid in them.

For now, I would not worry about your TA.

Once you get your test kit, post your chemical readings and we can go from there.

Thanks

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.