New to the site and just opened pool (Cloudy Blue...HELP)

great job on lowering your CYA, you are correct, adjust your PH and SLAM untill you pass OCLT

Then balance the rest of the levels once your back down to normal FC levels for your pool

:)

Small question -
After adding the washing soda, how long should I wait to test the pH again?
Also, pool calculator said 100+ oz by weight. Would that seem accurate to you all? (I'm guessing the pH is around 6.4-6.6. Reading was below 7.0 and it took 7 drops to reach 7.5) Taylor book says 2.24 lbs should reach the proper pH.

I would brush the pool to stir it up really good. I usually wait about 30 minutes to a hour before retesting.

Also I usually start out with adding half of what the pool caculator tell me. It's easier to add slowly than to have to correct it again.

I would brush the pool to stir it up really good. I usually wait about 30 minutes to a hour before retesting.

Also I usually start out with adding half of what the pool caculator tell me. It's easier to add slowly than to have to correct it again.

I think I'm off to a good start then, I did those exact things while waiting for a reply. Also, putting together a new ladder, the old one was well, old. :) So, that should take up my time while waiting to retest! Thanks for the quick response!

Maybe a dumb question, but I'd like to look into the future.
Once my pool is clear and ready to swim in...What do I need to do to maintain it's crystal clear water? Do I go back to the pucks for chlorine? Do I use bleach? etc etc etc. Using the "grocery BBB way", what is the proper way to maintain a pool? I just want to do it the right way...not the pool store way! :)

test everything just like your doing and add just what the poolmath says... :)

Stay away from the pool store and those pucks, they are both trouble :)

All it takes is 10 minutes a day to keep my pool Trouble Free....

Test pool with TF100 every night after sun sets
Add chlorine and adjust levels if needed ( Use TFP Calculator)
Brush pool ( I like to brush at least once a day)

That's it. Very simple steps to a beautiful pool all year.:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 65
First dose of Bleach went in at 5pm yesterday. (2:30pm now) FC staying between 18-22 (5-121 oz jugs used so far). Have to slow my tests down until my new batch comes in the mail. But, water is clearing up pretty nicely already. I can make out the entire pool now...still a way to go until clear however.
Ordered 32 oz (each) -0871, -0013, -0004, and 1/4 lb of -0870. They seem to be the most used in my kit. (0013 wasn't as needed, but the deal was pretty good)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update: Pool is clear now. Going to run OCLT tonight.

FC = 24 ppm
CC = 0 ppm
pH = 7.6
TA = 140 ppm
CH = 100 ppm
CYA = between 45-50
Sat = (-0.15)

FC still high from shock level. IF I pass the OCLT, do i just need to wait to chlorinate the pool until the FC drops back to within normal limits? Also, pH is pretty close to range...will it drop or rise naturally? Will it drop or rise when FC returns to normal? What do I do next? Assuming I pass the OCLT. I guess that's where I'm getting at. :)

If you pass, then yse let FC drift down to your goal. pH tends to rise unless you are using pucks to chlorinate. Testing for both is the key. Stay on top of it and adjust as necessary.

Maybe a dumb question, but I'd like to look into the future.
Once my pool is clear and ready to swim in...What do I need to do to maintain it's crystal clear water? Do I go back to the pucks for chlorine? Do I use bleach? etc etc etc. Using the "grocery BBB way", what is the proper way to maintain a pool? I just want to do it the right way...not the pool store way! :)

Nice job!

To answer your question, just chlorine/bleach in liquid form for chlorine. Then maybe some borax or soda ash for pH, baking soda for TA and acid to lower pH, but these are only as needed.
Not sure where you were getting your bleach, but I see there is an Ollie's near you and they sell Chlorine (they call it liquid shock). It's 12.5% strength and is very reasonably priced at $2.99/gal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.