New to the group and having trouble clearing pool

jhamfam1811

May 13, 2024
Indiana
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Im new to the group and this is my first post. We are in the process of opening and cleaning out our 22 ft above ground round pool. We did not cover it over the winter so it is a swamp right now. We cleaned all the leaves off the bottom and filled the pool the rest of the way up. I went to our local pool store and they told me to floc it first to get everything to settle to the bottom before shocking it. They had me put an entire bottle of bioguard power floc in it and I have done that but it’s been over 52 hours and nothing has settled. Not sure what to do now. In the past we have always shocked first and then used floc. We just bought a new sand filter and pump and I’m hoping we don’t ruin it with all the floc. Looking for some help?

Sadly, as is the case with many first time posters to this forum, the poolstore gave you bad advice.

I would be strongly inclined to consider draining and starting over.

If you do, do it right and follow the advice in the articles section of this website.
That’s what I was afraid of. Would it be worth it to vac what we can off the bottom to waste and then drain it? And should we drain it all the way or just to a certain point?

You don’t want to drain lower than 18” - preferably not lower than 2 ft remaining to prevent liner shifting. If the pool is buried at all you shouldn’t drain lower than the surrounding ground or you risk collapse.

Don’t run the floc through your filter. If you do you will likely need to replace the sand. You may need to sacrifice the sand to get all the floc out after the water exchange if it doesn’t settle where you can vac it to waste.

You’ll need to do the
SLAM Process to clear your pool.

To do so properly you’ll need one of the test kits we recommend.
Test Kits Compared

Reactions: newdude