RedSoxFan

Jun 6, 2015
Boston/MA
I'm brand new to to TFP method. Have stopped using Pristine Blue and reviewed Pool School over and over. Recently added a Culator and Metal Free to remove any Pristine Blue and pool is now crystal clear (save a little floor staining) that is fading (via the chlorine -I'm assuming).

Levels are:
PH 7.6
FC 2.0
TA 90
CYA 30
CH 20

NOTE: The above test results are the levels before I used Pool Math and added: 8 oz of dry acid, 24 oz of dry stabilizer and 24 oz. of liquid bleach.

Do you all think I'm off to a good start? I've been hesitant to add the full CYA Pool Math amount recommended as I keep reading that you can't remove CYA without emptying. But I keep adding - so perhaps I should have followed Pool Math's first recommendation. Observation - the dry conditioner or stabilizer is much less expensive than the Natural Chemistry liquid ($33 a gallon) but I'm having a hard time getting the dry CYA to dissolve. I left it in a bucket, stirred it and poured it in and still see a lot of granuels on the floor which I tried to sweep.

Someone mentioned using a "sock". What kind of sock and where?

Do the majority of TFP members use dry stabilizer or liquid?

Last question - I am using strictly liquid chlorine bleach 12.5% but if I were to go away for a week, I could or should use the pucks to deliver steady chlorine and I'd be ok with my CYA if I only did this for a week? Note: I've never used pucks.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40

In the article is a description on adding CYA using the sock method. A thin knee sock or knee high nylon works great. The granules should get mushy in a couple hours and squeezing the sock will release the CYA quickly.

To leave for a week, no one can add some chlorine? If not, you can raise your FC to SLAM level and add 3 pucks to a floater. You will need your pump to run a few hours at least each day. Those pucks will add about 10 ppm CYA if they fully dissolve.

Reactions: RedSoxFan

RedSoxFan

Jun 6, 2015
Boston/MA
Thank you! I've done so much reading... perhaps that is the link I saw the sock info. Either way, you providing the link to the Further Reading on CYA is exactly what I needed. I had some other questions on ideal CYA and this answered it. Given that I have a lot of direct sunlight - I may run with a higher CYA (50 vs 30) since I'm using liquid chlorine exclusively. When it says to place the sock full of CYA in front of your return - I'm assuming you hold the sock in your hand in front of the return.

By the way (and this is no joke) - I asked about CYA and the local pool store pointed to the Natural Chemistry $33.00 and there was another bottle called "Clarifier" right next to the NC Conditioner and it was $5.99 for a gallon. I asked if Clarifier was the same as the Conditioner and the pool staff said yes definitely. It's just our store brand - that's why it's cheaper. They're both CYA.

I didn't know there was a difference. After Pool School, I'm now SMH.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
When it says to place the sock full of CYA in front of your return - I'm assuming you hold the sock in your hand in front of the return.
Most hang from a broom handle or something else that gets the sock out in the pool several inches.

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
So, when I first started, I bought liquid CYA. I knew it was more expensive but I didn’t want to be bothered with trying to dissolve via sock. Worked fine, didn’t need to add more for quite a while. The next time I needed it, I opened the bottle to find a solid chunk of CYA, with liquid floating on top! 😂

I mashed it up and stirred it as best I could, and ended up putting the chunks into - yep, a sock. So save your money and buy dry!

Now when I need to add, I pour into sock, hang sock in skimmer for a couple of hours, then hop in pool and squish it around until dissolved.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.