New to TFP from Houston TX

dalarco

Jul 22, 2023
Central Texas
Hi,

I just bought my first house and it came with an inground pool. Located in metro Houston TX.

The pool is roughly 30ft x 10ft. I’ve previously had a 10k gallon above ground pool, so I have a basic idea of how to maintain a pool, but this new pool is a different beast!

I’ve yet to move in, so don’t yet know how to operate the pump, filter and controller, but will read up the manuals ASAP.

The pool came with a gas heater that doesn’t work. I’ve never been more used one before and don’t know how useful they are, so any pointers would be useful.

Since it’s HOT in Houston and I have a 5 and a 3 year old, I’m sure we will be using the pool all the time.

At least for now, I was planning to keep the pool service the previous had for $190 per month for weekly visits, is this reasonable? I will get a testing kit to start tracking chemical levels, with the idea of managing chemicals myself at some point.

My yard has multiple large trees, so leaves and dirt in the pool will be a constant issue. Are robots truly useful to keep the pool clean on a constant basis? I’ve been thinking of getting a robotic pool vac (Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus seems to be highly recommended) as well as a robotic skimmer (Betta SE?), but don’t know if their upkeep is worth it or not

welcome to TFP.
Please read
Pool Care Basics
Please purchase a proper test kit - even though you have a pool service. Look at Test Kits Compared. The TF-100 is a great value to get started but the Taylor K-2006C will do a good job as well.
Once you get settled, you need to determine how the pool is being chlorinated as that is most critical.
A pool service for weekly service at $190 per month is reasonable. I know my neighbor pays more than that.

There are many options for robots. What type of cleaner is there now? The summer tends to be easier to keep a pool clean especially if you have weekly service so don’t be too quick to jump to a new cleaner.

I just converted from a pressure side cleaner to 2 robots both cordless. I have the Betta SE Pro for surface skimming and a Aiper Scuba 1 (standard) for the bottom. Both were recent purchases but happy so far. Unfortunately I only received the Betta robot after most of the leaves have fallen but still does a good job on what still flys in from my neighbor trees.

Reactions: dalarco
welcome to TFP.
Please read
Pool Care Basics
Please purchase a proper test kit - even though you have a pool service. Look at Test Kits Compared. The TF-100 is a great value to get started but the Taylor K-2006C will do a good job as well.
Once you get settled, you need to determine how the pool is being chlorinated as that is most critical.
A pool service for weekly service at $190 per month is reasonable. I know my neighbor pays more than that.

There are many options for robots. What type of cleaner is there now? The summer tends to be easier to keep a pool clean especially if you have weekly service so don’t be too quick to jump to a new cleaner.

I just converted from a pressure side cleaner to 2 robots both cordless. I have the Betta SE Pro for surface skimming and a Aiper Scuba 1 (standard) for the bottom. Both were recent purchases but happy so far. Unfortunately I only received the Betta robot after most of the leaves have fallen but still does a good job on what still flys in from my neighbor trees.
Thanks for the pointers.

My pool came with an old polaris 280 pressure side cleaner, including the required supplemental pump. I had never seen one before, but I managed to fix it up with a tune-up kit I found on Amazon. It has only been in use for two days, but it has already made a big difference. And I went ahead and got a Betta SE plus robotic skimmer.

With all the expenses of buying and remodeling a new house, and with the Polaris 280 working, I'm going to hold off on getting a robotic cleaner for now.

The next thing is getting a test kit to see how the water is doing. I've only seen my pool guy use tabs, so I wouldn't be surprised that CYA levels are high.

Reactions: HermanTX
welcome to TFP.
Please read
Pool Care Basics

I see that you have an FNS 60 DE filter from your signature. I have the Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS 60 DE filter, which I think is the same model. The pressure gauge is not working, and I'll be replacing that this weekend. Any pointers on giving the filter a thorough checkup and making sure it is working well?

Welcome neighbor! It's not a bad idea to keep the pool service until you get settled in, but I'd try to take control of your pool chemistry ASAP. The TF-Pro is the best kit IMO as it includes a speedstir and a really nice case.

Don't purchase a pool robot without first talking to Marina Pool and Spa as they typically have the best prices and free shipping and no tax when sent to Texas. You need to call them but the process in fairly pain free.

I see that you have an FNS 60 DE filter from your signature. I have the Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS 60 DE filter, which I think is the same model. The pressure gauge is not working, and I'll be replacing that this weekend. Any pointers on giving the filter a thorough checkup and making sure it is working well?
Since the pool is new to you - ask the pool service tech if he will disassemble and clean the DE filter. It is always best to start off fresh unless the pool service can confirm the DE filter was recently cleaned. Cost should be under $200 - it is fairly painless but putting the grids back in if you have not done it before can be challenging.
I disassemble and clean my DE filter 1-2 times a year depending on how much debris has fallen over time. Even though I may regularly backwash the filter still needs a good cleaning at least annually.
When you backwash - only put in 80% of the recommended amount of DE for that size filter.
Please review