New to TFP - Can't seem to get it right!

Guys, I'm reading and following along and in need of my own help.
I have a Hayward SWG that is now not working and I'm waiting for a part to arrive. In the mean time my pool water (13k gallons) has turned green and continues to darken in color. I tried shocking it 7 days ago but it stays green. I've also ordered a test kit and waiting for it. What can I do in the meantime until the SWG is repaired and the test kit arrives?
Thanks for your help.

Guys, I'm reading and following along and in need of my own help.
I have a Hayward SWG that is now not working and I'm waiting for a part to arrive. In the mean time my pool water (13k gallons) has turned green and continues to darken in color. I tried shocking it 7 days ago but it stays green. I've also ordered a test kit and waiting for it. What can I do in the meantime until the SWG is repaired and the test kit arrives?
Thanks for your help.
Probably should start your own thread. . Until you get the test kit, add a gallon of bleach each day. . When you get the kit, post a full set of test results.

I'm so excited to see this progress. The pool water is mostly clear. This morning I found grayish/white clumps at the bottom of the pool (dead algae, I'm guessing?) and I vacuumed it up with the suction cleaner. I'm still losing about 3-4ppm of FC overnight, so I'm going to stay the course, maintaining shock level, until I meet all 3 criteria of the SLAM process.

My question now is this: when I posted my first picture of the pool (mutant ooze green) someone brought up the possibility of mustard algae... How do I know if it is mustard algae or if I need to treat the pool for that?

The way your pool has cleared so far, I wouldn't give mustard algae any more thought. Just continue what you are doing until you complete your SLAM.

I think I'm done!!! :whoot: The water is SO clear, OCLT was -1.0ppm, and CC is 0!!!! I'll probably bring it back up to shock level one more time tonight, just to be safe.

The problem now is, with the water so clean and clear, I can see every stain and mark on the bottom of the pool... It's an old pool and it has some staining and blotches that were already there when we moved in last year. No amount of scrubbing will get them out. When we had the pool checked out after first buying the house, they told us we would need to resurface the pool within 2 years. I guess now we'll have to start saving up for that... We can use all the money we've been saving on pool chemicals! (See what I did there?) :cool:

Unrelated question: is it safe to let my kids swim in the pool with the chlorine level so high? (FC=20-22)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stick with it and you'll get there. I was testing the water constantly and adding chlorine every single time it was below shock level. It took a lot of dedication and repetition but it worked WAY faster and WAY, WAY better than I expected it to... That picture of my pool when it was an algae-infested swamp is from last Friday - 4 days ago! But, today, the kids and I went for a swim in the clearest, cleanest pool we've ever been in... and it's ours! If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Thanks again, TFP!!!

Stick with it and you'll get there. I was testing the water constantly and adding chlorine every single time it was below shock level. It took a lot of dedication and repetition but it worked WAY faster and WAY, WAY better than I expected it to... That picture of my pool when it was an algae-infested swamp is from last Friday - 4 days ago! But, today, the kids and I went for a swim in the clearest, cleanest pool we've ever been in... and it's ours! If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Thanks again, TFP!!!

Congrats, you got your well deserved pool back!

Just wondering if you ever got around adding that small amount of DE to your sand filter? If you haven't yet then you haven't seen really clear water.
Another check is to look at your pool light beam at night from the deck and you should see nothing floating in front of the light. TFP water can actually do that.

OTOH you can ignore this nonsense, keep your FC at the correct level and enjoy the pool :).

Another check is to look at your pool light beam at night from the deck and you should see nothing floating in front of the light. TFP water can actually do that.

As soon as I read this I ran outside (but, like, I ACTUALLY ran!) and turned on the pool light...

OMG!!!!!! :colors: I did not know TFP water could do that!!!!! :bowdown:

I actually haven't put DE into the filter yet. The filter is my husband's jurisdiction - I'm too easily overwhelmed by all the plumbing and pipes and valves - but he hasn't been able to find anything smaller than a 25lb bag of DE and that's way more than we need. We had planned on it, but it seems the sand is doing its job pretty well.

Side note: my husband is amused with me (translation: laughing at me) running in and out of the house to take pictures of my pool and post them here. But, I can't help it! It's just so pretty!

Very well done! Congratulations :) You can get 25 lbs of pool DE for as little as $20 and it will last you a decade. You'll like the difference ;)

Did you know you can become a supporter? It's a modest one-time tax-deductible donation that also provides some perks as well. All the help is volunteer, but a small amount is needed to cover the software and hosting costs. No pressure, you'll get great advice either way. Thanks for considering it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.