New to SWG

BCSB

Gold Supporter
Mar 26, 2023
Wisconsin
I've followed this forum forever. I built my pool in 2000 and struggled with water quality for a year before I found this forum. My pool has been easy to care for since. Thank you all for everything you have to offer! Inground 20x40 25K gal. I think I want to try a SWG now. I know nothing about the pros and cons or which manufactures are best. I've used the search but would like more info. I'm looking for any help I can get to make this change. Thanks ahead for your help.

Bill

Bill,

Looks like you do not have an automation system, so you are free to use any SWCG system you want.

A lot of people here use CircuPool SWCGs with good results.

See this page.. Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features | DSP

Keep in mind that you want to use a cell that is rated for at least 2 X the volume of your pool. In your location 1.5 X would be ok. I'd go with either a 40K cell or a 60K cell.

The downside to a SWCG system is the initial cost, and the fact that you most likely have to run your pump longer..

Most cells last 5 to 7 years. Think of it as buying all the chlorine you need to last 5 to 7 years, but you are buying it up front.

If you currently run you pump for less than 12 hours a day, depending on the size of the cell, you might have to run the pump longer so that the cell can make the chlorine your pool needs per day.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Don't forget to order in time a Taylor K-1766 salt test to add to your existing (?) Taylor K2006C or TF100/TFpro , and make sure to test your salt level before adding salt. You'll likely already have a significant amount of salt in your pool, as any added chlorine turns eventually into chloride.

After all the research I've narrowed it down to Circupool. I see they offer three different series and I like the RJ series. I think the 45 would be big enough but there is a special to upgrade to the 60 for a few $ more. I see the size upgrade as a positive. Any issues with over sizing? This would be close to 21/2 times the volume of my pool. Now on to learning the water test parameters for SWG. One more question about the parameters- why do you need the CYA so high? I run mine now about 30-40.

why do you need the CYA so high
With liquid chlorine you dump the days worth in one shot and it can drift down until tomorrow's dose.

With a SWG it's adding a skootch at a time, more or less adding it as it burns off. So the CYA recs are higher to buffer it more. Otherwise it would burn off faster than it's being produced.

So I made the leap and ordered a CircuPool SWCG. The RJ45 was on sale and there was a $20 upgrade to the RJ60 which I took. Several options to discount more and the total was under $1400. I thought it was a pretty good deal and should fit my pool well. What I still don't understand is the need for a high CYA. I thought the CYA would tie up the chlorine at that level (70-80). In my pool now, using liquid chlorine as I have for years, If my CyA were that high I would have to have my FC much higher than the level used with a SWG. I thought that target was around 5. I may be wrong though.

From Pool Water Chemistry
"Salt Water chlorine Generation (SWG) pools seem to require a higher level of CYA, about 70-80 ppm, to operate efficiently. The theory is that the CYA is slow to "store" the chlorine as it is being generated so without enough CYA there is a build-up of chlorine that degrades the performance of the salt cell"

using liquid chlorine as I have for years, If my CyA were that high I would have to have my FC much higher than the level used with a SWG. I thought that target was around 5
Again, it's a once a day spike with bleach. And tomorrow you're late because the soccer game went into double OT. And then it was raining. And tomorrow's bleach sat out in the sun too long at the store and was half strength and didn't raise the FC like it oughtta. Or this or that or the other thing.

The SWG just chugs along however you set it and will maintain an even level of FC, so you can run it much closer to minimum while still never reaching minimum. I don't. Heck no. I run hot for good measure. But I could just as easily set the swg to maintain a 5 and be fine.

BCSB,

Here is an example with made up numbers as every pool is different...

If you run in the summer with a CYA of 30, you will have to set the cell to run at say 60% output to keep up with the amount of chlorine your pool will use each day.

If you run in the summer with a CYA of 70, you will only have to set your cell to run at 40 to keep up with the amount of chlorine your pool will use each day.

Either will work, but the cell will last longer if run for the same amount of time and at a lower output..

When my pool appears to be using more FC than normal each day, the first thing I check is my CYA level. In almost every case, it will be low.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: dmoks and mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the info- I get it. It still seems backward with high CYA but I'll set it up and run it according to mfg and what I read here. I'm looking forward to it. I'm getting a new pump also.
My Triton Ultra Flo is 15+ years old and still runs great but it's an amp hog. I'll save it as a backup in case something happens to the new one. I'm curious if anyone uses a flow sensor up stream. I believe the SWG has one of some sort but didn't see that in the specs. I would think one would be needed.

BCSB,

Almost no one 'needs' a flow meter.. You are just making this much harder than it needs to be. :mrgreen:

Salt cells have a flow switch.. You just adjust the speed of the pump so that the flow switch turns on. The amount of flow is just dependent on your plumbing and cell. Having a flow meter does not help at all.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: proavia
I know it's not needed but I got a small bonus at work, so added a flow meter as a perk before switching from single to VSP. Super easy install. It helped set up the VSP with confidence. I like knowing what's actually flowing through the system so it's certain the SWG and heater minimums are being met without fiddling. Also a second vote on when the filter needs cleaning. Just saying... Ymmv.

Reactions: Newdude and dmoks
I know it's not needed

I like to know these things
We are ALL for people getting their geek on. We are a forum full of enthusiasts, after all, and you're in good company. :)

We are simply against the masses believing they need a flow meter because it's important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.