Hershey PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Ok guys. Gonna crack the cover on the pool tomorrow afternoon. Took some tests today to figure out a baseline. Results:
Fc 0
PH. 8.2
TA 90
CYA. 20
Salt. 600
The pool is not yet open but I am actively going to start that process tomorrow. I’ll remove the cover and vacuum to waste to get the majority of the dirt/worms/ organically that have gone thru the cover. I can set the bit to work thereafter.
Question is what to do first. Obviously need to add some 10%liquid chlorine, bring my CYA up and start adding major salt to get it to range for the new SWG. What order? Thanks in advance for your help.

You'll probably want to get your FC levels back up immediately with liquid chlorine, and then your pH down with muriatic acid. Wait half an hour between the chlorine and acid just to be safe, then test FC and pH about 90 minutes after that.

Once those levels are back in line, you can start gradually adding cyanuric acid (CYA). This may take a few days, so you can go ahead and add salt and start your new SWG in the meantime. I'm currently adding CYA by putting dry pellets in a sock in the skimmer as described in the pool school, and it has taken me about a week to go from 30 to 55. Granted I'm adding slowly so as not to overshoot, as there isn't any way to bring it down aside from a partial drain.

Reactions: JRC1954
I wouldn't make any decisions based off of those readings. If the water has been sitting uncirculated for months then there would be pockets of fresher water. You want to get your pump running and water mixed up for a couple hours or more before testing.

Thanks guys. I was wondering about that. I took the sample about a foot and a half under the surface but agree that can be misleading as a representative sample. Will get the vacuuming done and get some circulation going

Ok. Pool cover removed. Very murky water. Lots of dirt/algae? On the bottom. Vacuumed to waste. Added 3 gal of 10% liquid chlorine over the course of 2 hours. Fc is only at 2. Will have to go source Muriatic acid and CYA tomorrow.
All numbers otherwise remained the same as yesterday’s test.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.