New to pools.

McKenzie

Jun 3, 2020
Pittsburgh Pa
Hey my name is Andy, I’m very new to pools. The place we bought it from isn’t much help. Apparently too busy. For a brand new pool with a SWG, do I add salt and let the motor run before I take the water in for testing? Or do I take in untreated water for them to tell me how many of these bags of salt to put in. They gave me 12 40lb bags with a 30’rnd AG

Welcome! We don’t put much stock in pool store testing here and recommend people get their own test kit. We recommend either the TFT-100 or the Taylor K-2006C. For salt you will want a dropper test like the K-1766.

We can give advice but can only do it with your own test results. Otherwise you can check with the pool store and see what they recommend if you want to stick with them. But we don’t have anything to sell to you, so I would recommend our advice more. :)

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
For a brand new pool with a SWG, do I add salt and let the motor run before
Before you try to use the SWG, salt needs to be added and allowed to mix for 24 hours. Until that time, treat your pool as a non-salt pool and balance the FC to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Also see our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and make sure you have your own TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. Owner testing is the only way to go. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Using the PoolMath tool, I see that to increase salt from zero to about 3500 ppm would take 644 lbs. Word of caution, don't try to add all of that at once. Plus, I used 3500 as an estimated salt range, but your SWG may have a lower ideal range. It's best to be conservative and stay low. You can always add salt, but you can't remove excess unless you change water. You should also consider having your own Taylor K-1766 salt test kit if you don't have one already.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.