New to pools entirely

The acrylic pool decking is in rough shape, and I’m considering overlaying with travertine stone, and replacing the blue waterline tiles. When I do that I may also resurface the plaster (full chip out). If I contract two companies, one for the travertine, one for the waterline tile + plaster, which would you recommend first in the build process?
You would want waterline tile before coping installation. And deck is usually last. Please refer to

I’m also a bit lost on rebuilding the pool vacuum. I have opened it up and turning the main “paddle”, which I assume the vacuum pressure is intended to do, moves the gears which moves the wheels. So it seems to be working, but when it’s connected to the vacuum port it sits on the bottom without moving, even when I direct the suction 100% to the vacuum port with the Jandy valve and run the pump at 3000rpm. Any suggestions?

There are times when it pays to buy a new pool cleaner and start fresh.

I finally did a couple of water exchanges to work on the CYA. Here are latest levels.

Using submersible pump to drain was a pain. I assume if I add a 3 way valve and male hose thread immediately after the pump to add a waste line to drain, I could leverage t he main drain at the bottom of the pool to drain using the main pump. Is that a common setup even with a cartridge filter?

pH 7.8-8.2
FC 15, CC 0
CH 325
TA 190
CYA 80

I assume if I add a 3 way valve and male hose thread immediately after the pump to add a waste line to drain, I could leverage t he main drain at the bottom of the pool to drain using the main pump.
Most people assume that is the case, but a pool pump is upward of 1k and a submersible pump 100 bucks. If you forget you are draining and the pool pump runs dry it will cost you dearly.

I finally did a couple of water exchanges to work on the CYA. Here are latest levels.

Using submersible pump to drain was a pain. I assume if I add a 3 way valve and male hose thread immediately after the pump to add a waste line to drain, I could leverage t he main drain at the bottom of the pool to drain using the main pump. Is that a common setup even with a cartridge filter?

pH 7.8-8.2
FC 15, CC 0
CH 325
TA 190
CYA 80
Fantastic 🤩
Now do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see where you stand.
Also note that the ph test is invalid at fc levels above 10ppm so don’t adjust it.
Retest ph when fc falls & adjust then if necessary.

ALWAYS use a timer when adding or draining water! & then - don’t ignore it!
Ask me how I know 🤦‍♀️
One of the values of either Alexa or the Timer function on a smartphone. I use it extensively when adding water during the summer. I rarely leave the pool area if I am draining for any reason but would still set a timer because other diversions are always feasible.

Timer and plumbed waste line it is!

OCLT this weekend, will see if I need to start a formal SLAM.

I have a pool fence and the gate is on the opposite side of the equipment pad, so the walk to adjust anything is lengthy.

Is it unwise to add a gate from the equipment pad directly into the pool area inside the pool fence?

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So long as it’s self closing/latching & the latch is at a height that a child cannot reach it to easily enter the pool area it shouldn’t pose a safety risk if that’s what you mean. Your local codes may dictate a certain height (mine is 48”)

Reactions: Newdude