New To Pool Testing and FC Issues- Marietta, GA

Ribbod

May 30, 2018
Marietta/ga
Hello! I love this site!

I have just purchased the Taylor 2006 Kit and am very excited to leave the pool stores behind... However, I do have an issue and need help in resolving it. The pool is clear - no visible issues.

Pump is running 12 hours during the day and and at 80% with the Hayward AquaRite.

I have just tested and these are the numbers:
As you see the FC is pretty low and the CYA is pretty high :

FC .8ppm
CC 1ppm
PH 7.6
TA 160
CH 160
CYA 100
Salt 3800

What do you suggest?

Thank you, in advance

Last edited:
Re: New To Pool Testing and FC Issues- Marietta, GA

Hello and welcome! :wave: The CYA is definitely your first order of business. Please do a diluted CYA test as noted on the Pool School - CYA page starting at Step #8. Those results will drive how much water you need to exchange to lower the CYA. It's good you have the proper kit to test not. Outstanding. :goodjob: Let us know what you get.

Hello and welcome! :wave: The CYA is definitely your first order of business. Please do a diluted CYA test as noted on the Pool School - CYA page starting at Step #8. Those results will drive how much water you need to exchange to lower the CYA. It's good you have the proper kit to test not. Outstanding. :goodjob: Let us know what you get.

I just tested again using the diluted method and those numbers indicate the CYA 70.. I also redid FC and CC : FC 1.2 , CC .2

Thank you for your help

Looks like you need to drain about half of your water and refill. I'm not sure on the particulars but you don't want to drain a vinyl pool too far before adding water. I have had mine down 18 to 24 inches before (the bottom of the light niche).

Yes, a diluted CYA of 70 means a true CYA of about 140. So a 50% water exchange would get you down to about a CYA of 70. If you could lower it slightly more, it would help in the SLAM process. Maybe about 3/4 the water? But never below a foot to 18" from the bottom. You don't want anything to happen to the liner. You should exchange that water before trying to adjust any other chemicals.

Yes, a diluted CYA of 70 means a true CYA of about 140. So a 50% water exchange would get you down to about a CYA of 70. If you could lower it slightly more, it would help in the SLAM process. Maybe about 3/4 the water? But never below a foot to 18" from the bottom. You don't want anything to happen to the liner. You should exchange that water before trying to adjust any other chemicals.

No, the Diluted CYA was 35... i multiplied that by 2 to get 70

I also just redid all the chemicals after the pump as been all day:
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]FC 1.2 ppm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CC .2 ppm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PH 7.8[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TA 190[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CYA 70 (regular method)

[/FONT]

OK - follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] for SWCG pool. Adjust your SWCG % so that you are in the target level when you test FC. I test my FC just before the SWCG starts for the day.

Monitor your pH. When it gets to 8, lower it to 7.6. Your TA will drive your pH higher.

Take care.

OK - follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] for SWCG pool. Adjust your SWCG % so that you are in the target level when you test FC. I test my FC just before the SWCG starts for the day.

Monitor your pH. When it gets to 8, lower it to 7.6. Your TA will drive your pH higher.

Take care.

Ok- Is the high TA a problem? Do i need to add some acid to bring it down?
I am going to adjust SWG to run at 80% for 14 hours - How does that sound?

Thank you all so much! Im learning so much and feel so empowered!

TA is not a problem. It will just cause your pH to rise quicker, maybe. Just monitor pH. You should be testing your FC and pH every day for awhile until you learn what your pool acts like. I can now tell if my pH is higher by the look of the water.

Use this SWG Run Time Calculator to predict required SWCG % based on a runtime. You need the amount of Chlorine your cell can generate in 24 hours. You do not say what cell you have in your signature.

Assume a 4ppm FC loss per day to start. Then adjust down/up the % to nail it.

TA is not a problem. It will just cause your pH to rise quicker, maybe. Just monitor pH. You should be testing your FC and pH every day for awhile until you learn what your pool acts like. I can now tell if my pH is higher by the look of the water.

Use this SWG Run Time Calculator to predict required SWCG % based on a runtime. You need the amount of Chlorine your cell can generate in 24 hours. You do not say what cell you have in your signature.

Assume a 4ppm FC loss per day to start. Then adjust down/up the % to nail it.

We have a T-9 cell -have no idea how much chlorine the cell can generate in 24 hours- how would find that out?

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

T-9 creates 0.7 lb of chlorine per 24 hours at 100% setting.

Your SWCG is very undersized. We recommend that the size of the SWCG be at least 2X your pool volume. Remember that when you need to replace this cell. Plan to get the T-15. Not 2X but better than what you have.

Your SWCG is very undersized. We recommend that the size of the SWCG be at least 2X your pool volume. Remember that when you need to replace this cell. Plan to get the T-15. Not 2X but better than what you have.

Yep!! I figured it out after finding it online and using the calculator... what do you suggest i do? Buying a new cell is not an option, at this point...

You will need to run your pump long enough at a SWCG % to create the chlorine you need.

Use the calculator. Use 4 ppm FC loss per day to start. You may not have that much and thus can lower your pump run time to compensate.

You will need to run your pump long enough at a SWCG % to create the chlorine you need.

Use the calculator. Use 4 ppm FC loss per day to start. You may not have that much and thus can lower your pump run time to compensate.

Well it looks like i don't have a choice but to get a bigger cell, as the current cell won't ever be able to generate enough FC to keep up, according to the calculator, unless I'm missing something.

Marty, I contacted Hayward support and I was told that the T-9 cell actually creates 0.98/24hrs

OK -- go with the 0.98. From my calculator you will need to run the pump 20 hours at 100% SWCG setting. It would be easier to run the pump 24 hours at 85% setting. What type of pump do you have? Can you add that to your signature.

I suspect you will actually be able to use less. But that is a start.

OK -- go with the 0.98. From my calculator you will need to run the pump 20 hours at 100% SWCG setting. It would be easier to run the pump 24 hours at 85% setting. What type of pump do you have? Can you add that to your signature.

I suspect you will actually be able to use less. But that is a start.

I have added the pump information in my signature... I also ordered a T-15 cell last night, as I figured it would be cheaper in the long run to use a bigger cell compared to the power costs of running the T-9 cell for 24 hours.

Edited to add: Im not sure which information you need: pump or which is motor (or are they one in the same?) so i attached pictures... Motor is U.S. Motors Emerson EB841

wp7Pp+uqTw+z7xJqU+TEUQ.jpgiLYrjSbNQG6cbvFxwmY+Dg.jpg

I just tested before pump came on:

FC 1.8
CC .2
PH 7.8
TA 160
CYA 75

Last edited:

You need more chlorine now. Add liquid chlorine / bleach now to get your FC into the target level for your CYA of 80 (round up, you cannot measure 75 CYA, the scale is logarithmic).

You need more chlorine now. Add liquid chlorine / bleach now to get your FC into the target level for your CYA of 80 (round up, you cannot measure 75 CYA, the scale is logarithmic).

i have some granular cal-hypo 73% that i need to use up... Would that work? According to Pool Math, i would need about 18 oz to bring FC to 6

Use it. I assume you are running your SWCG at the settings we discussed above?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.