New to pool ownership...Please, help me get started.

2Rebecca

Jan 21, 2021
TN
Hi all! I purchased the Pool School PDF and read through it all. It looks like there is good info there for maintaining a pool, but I still have some questions related to "getting started" that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I recently purchased an Intex pool. It should be here next week, but I won't be installing it until spring. For now, I'm in the planning stage. I'm trying to determine what else I need to buy; whether I should go with a saltwater system; and, when I need to start the installation. I tried searching the forums but didn't find these answers. I'm hoping someone can help or link to another thread if I overlooked it.

Here is what I purchased: Intex Ultra XTR 32'x16'x52", 14.4k gal, 0.6 HP Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump (2800 GPH)

First, when reading through pool school, would my pool be considered temporary, small, medium, or large? I'm assuming it is large enough that I should follow the traditional methods vs the temporary pool methods regardless of whether I take it down at the end of the season. However, I'm not sure where 14.4k gallons fall on the small to large scale.

Second, I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a SWG. If I followed what I read in pool school correctly, it sounds like saltwater is easier to maintain especially if we miss a few days of testing/maintenance. (We usually go on vacation for 1-2 weeks each summer.) The main downside is the initial upfront cost of the system and possible corrosion. The downside to chlorine is the need to add liquid bleach daily and the possibility of shortages due to the pandemic. Has anyone compared the cost of bleach over 1 season to the upfront cost of a SWG plus salt? My decision to add a SWG will be driven by costs. I'm wondering if I'll be regretting not adding it come September when I add up all the chemical/bleach cost over the summer.

Third, I know I will need some tools to clean the pool, but what should I get. What about accessories like solar covers? I'd love to hear your thoughts on what is absolutely NEEDED and the things that might not be needed, but are mighty fine to have! Should I purchase an Intex maintenance kit, or buy individual pieces? Do I need one of the robotic vacuums or a manual one? One that climbs walls or just the floor? As a reminder, this is for an AG Intex pool. I'd like to keep the tool costs inline with the pool costs. If I get a robotic vacuum it will be in the $250 range, not the $2k range. :) Also, I'm short, so both visibility & reach over the pool will likely be limited.

Finally, I need to work backward to determine a start date on leveling the ground. For a new startup, how long does it typically take to get the water adjusted prior to the first swim? Does it differ for a saltwater system? I don't have any info on the source of water. We are on a well, so we will likely truck water in from the city.

Your pool size is a medium to large above ground pool. Will you be taking it down at the end of each swim season or leaving it up and covered or open? I think a lot of larger above ground pools are left up and covered in the off season. Its a lot of work and possible damage taking it down and putting it up yearly.

Absolutely a Salt Water Chlorine Generator makes pool care soooooo much easier. Cuts down on having to add liquid or solid chlorine to the pool. We too often vacation for 2+ weeks and just leave the pool covered, with the pump and SWCG running on for a couple hours a day and come home to a clear clean water.
Folks *have* done the cost analysis and it comes out about equal - buying liquid vs lifespan of the cell. Our first cell lasted almost 9 years so the convenience alone was worth every penny to us!
As to worrying about salt water corrosion- after a year or so EVERY pool has salt in it as all your pool chemicals break down and leave some residual salt behind. It often adds up to be about 3/4 of what you'd need in added salt to run a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG).

Tools necessary for you are a GOOD test kit (I recommend the TF-100, sold by www.tftestkits.net ) and a long handled pool brush, a manual vacuum hose and head if you will have a skimmer to vacuum thru? One pole is all you need because the heads are all interchangeable (brush, vacuum, etc)
I also like to use a Mytee Mitt , which is like a plastic kitchen scrubber pad in glove form that I just walk/float around the pool and use on the water line at times when it gets dusty or grungy from suntan lotions or such.

Many folks can fill the pool with well water (albeit slowly usually) as long as they know the quality of their well water. Have you had that tested for bacteria and metals? Metals in well water can cause problems, but sometimes even city water contains some. Its all about knowing the quality of what you're going to use. We can help you deal with metals if needed, and know some neat tricks to get iron out of the pool if necessary.

Once the pool is filled, all you need is some chlorine and stabilizer (CYA) to start with that day....and from then on your pool test kit will help you along with our PoolMath app to maintain your water and keep it sanitary and clear. Even if you have a SWCG you'll need to test your pool frequently, especially at first as your learn your pool's "personality" . Remember that vinyl lined pools do NOT generally need calcium, so don't buy into anyone telling you otherwise.

Print out the vinyl pool chem levels recommendations and keep them handy to refer to with your test kit.

More reading--> Intex Pools - Further Reading

Keep asking questions and plenty of folks here are happy to answer you. :)

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2Rebecca
Get a good test kit (like mentioned above) before your pool goes up. You really don't have to wait to swim. My daughter played in the pool as I was filling it up - crazy kid as the hose water was freezing! When I added my salt for my swg, she was in the pool helping to move it around to dissolve it. You'll add stabilizer and bleach to get started (even if you have a swg, you'll get your FC to the correct level with bleach first). I love my swg. Once I get my chemistry where it needs to be, it's so easy. I haven't done the cost, but the convenience is worth it to me.

I really like my solar cover. It helps to keep in the heat the pool gains during the day. In the fall, I put a leaf net over the solar cover so I can get the leaves off the pool easily. I don't use a winter cover. With a pool your size, I'd definitely get a robot for above ground pools.

Are you installing yourself? The leveling is the hardest part. It's also the most important part.

First, when reading through pool school, would my pool be considered temporary, small, medium, or large? I'm assuming it is large enough that I should follow the traditional methods vs the temporary pool methods regardless of whether I take it down at the end of the season. However, I'm not sure where 14.4k gallons fall on the small to large scale.
The temporary pool care methods are really for small pools, something like 3000 gallons, where if something goes wrong it's easy and fast to dump the water and refill rather than fix it with a SLAM. My 26' round Intex is also around 15,000 gallons, that took over 24 hours to fill on city water, at a cost of around $100. With you either filling from a well, likely slower than I could fill from city, or trucking in water, you won't want to dump and refill, so I'd treat it like a regular pool regardless of if you take it down or not. Taking it down is optional:
full

Third, I know I will need some tools to clean the pool, but what should I get. What about accessories like solar covers? I'd love to hear your thoughts on what is absolutely NEEDED and the things that might not be needed, but are mighty fine to have! Should I purchase an Intex maintenance kit, or buy individual pieces? Do I need one of the robotic vacuums or a manual one? One that climbs walls or just the floor? As a reminder, this is for an AG Intex pool. I'd like to keep the tool costs inline with the pool costs. If I get a robotic vacuum it will be in the $250 range, not the $2k range. :) Also, I'm short, so both visibility & reach over the pool will likely be limited.
I'd skip Intex maintenance kit. I don't have one, but my pool had come with a pole and small leaf skimming net. The pole was 9' long...on a 26' round pool you need 13' just to get to the center from the edge, let alone overhang. And the quality wasn't great.

I got a Skimlite 9016 pole, seems like decent quality, extends from 8-16'. You'll want some sort of leaf bag for scooping up leaves from the bottom if you're anywhere near trees, a net to skim stuff off the surface probably, a brush and a vacuum & vacuum hose.

The vacuum needs a connection. I installed and highly recommend adding a through-wall skimmer. Yes, you have to cut your pool wall and yes that's scary, but it makes a huge difference in catching stuff before it sinks to the bottom of the pool. There's multiple threads on this, see the link in my signature for my own install with lots of pics. I did it without draining, but a slight draining makes it easier to do. Once you have a skimmer this comes with a plate that connects to a hose that you can use to vacuum the pool.

If you had a robot I'm guessing you could probably skip the manual vacuum, but I don't yet have a robot. I'm planning on getting the Aquabot Rover Jr this year, a popular model for above ground pools, around the $300 mark. I tried the $80 Intex auto pool cleaner, would probably work better on a smaller pool, not sure how it would work on a large rectangular Intex. Very limited capacity though, and hooking it up and disconnecting it is moderately annoying. That's why I want the robot, just throw in, then pull out when done. No fiddling with hoses.

Solar cover: I hated dealing with it on my 26' round. Luckily you have a rectangular, so you can get a cover reel which should make it a lot easier to deal with. It does make a huge difference in water temps though, which will extend the swimming season on both sides of summer.

Finally, I need to work backward to determine a start date on leveling the ground. For a new startup, how long does it typically take to get the water adjusted prior to the first swim? Does it differ for a saltwater system? I don't have any info on the source of water. We are on a well, so we will likely truck water in from the city.
If hiring out leveling to a landscape company or similar, get in their books ASAP. If leveling by hand, start as soon as it's warm enough to work outside. You do NOT want to be doing that in the heat of summer! You can always put the pool up earlier, even if it's not swim season.

As mentioned you can swim while it's filling if you want. But if you don't, you can add a couple ppm of FC and swim immediately when it's full. Honestly it's not much work to test and adjust things, and none of it will prevent any swimming. What will prevent swimming right away? The water will probably be too cold to enjoy. :)

Other things to consider: You could put foam under the pool for a better feel. Will also help keep the pool somewhat warmer, probably.

Hi all! Sorry for the delayed reply. I spent the weekend getting the kids ready for in-person school this week! They've been home so long it took a while to gather those supplies. :) Anyway, to answer a few questions.

Your pool size is a medium to large above ground pool. Will you be taking it down at the end of each swim season or leaving it up and covered or open? I think a lot of larger above ground pools are left up and covered in the off season. Its a lot of work and possible damage taking it down and putting it up yearly.

Absolutely a Salt Water Chlorine Generator makes pool care soooooo much easier. Cuts down on having to add liquid or solid chlorine to the pool. We too often vacation for 2+ weeks and just leave the pool covered, with the pump and SWCG running on for a couple hours a day and come home to a clear clean water.
Folks *have* done the cost analysis and it comes out about equal - buying liquid vs lifespan of the cell. Our first cell lasted almost 9 years so the convenience alone was worth every penny to us!
As to worrying about salt water corrosion- after a year or so EVERY pool has salt in it as all your pool chemicals break down and leave some residual salt behind. It often adds up to be about 3/4 of what you'd need in added salt to run a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG).
We will likely leave the pool up over the winter. I have no idea whether it will be left open or covered. I'll have to research which is best, but I'll save that for later. Glad to hear the SWG make things easier. I really wanted an excuse to get one. Does anyone have an opinion on the Intex model with Ozone vs. the one with ECO? If I'm interpreting what I read here correctly, it sounds like neither the Ozone nor ECO are needed, so I should just purchase the cheaper of the two.
Tools necessary for you are a GOOD test kit (I recommend the TF-100, sold by www.tftestkits.net ) and a long handled pool brush, a manual vacuum hose and head if you will have a skimmer to vacuum thru? One pole is all you need because the heads are all interchangeable (brush, vacuum, etc)
I also like to use a Mytee Mitt , which is like a plastic kitchen scrubber pad in glove form that I just walk/float around the pool and use on the water line at times when it gets dusty or grungy from suntan lotions or such.
So, if I'm reading this correctly I NEED a skimmer in order to use a manual vacuum?? I didn't realize that. Do these vacuums have some type of universal connector, or do I need to pick a skimmer before I pick the vacuum? I do plan on ordering one of those test kits. I'll also start researching the other maintenance items you're recommending.
Many folks can fill the pool with well water (albeit slowly usually) as long as they know the quality of their well water. Have you had that tested for bacteria and metals? Metals in well water can cause problems, but sometimes even city water contains some. Its all about knowing the quality of what you're going to use. We can help you deal with metals if needed, and know some neat tricks to get iron out of the pool if necessary.
I saw on the forums where folks fill their pools with well water, but the thought of pulling 15k gallons out of the well worries me! I've had it tested for bacteria, but I'm not sure about the metals. And, now that I'm typing this I'm not sure if the outside hose bibs are treated by our filters/lights. I'll have to look into this some more.
Get a good test kit (like mentioned above) before your pool goes up. You really don't have to wait to swim. My daughter played in the pool as I was filling it up - crazy kid as the hose water was freezing! When I added my salt for my swg, she was in the pool helping to move it around to dissolve it. You'll add stabilizer and bleach to get started (even if you have a swg, you'll get your FC to the correct level with bleach first). I love my swg. Once I get my chemistry where it needs to be, it's so easy. I haven't done the cost, but the convenience is worth it to me.

I really like my solar cover. It helps to keep in the heat the pool gains during the day. In the fall, I put a leaf net over the solar cover so I can get the leaves off the pool easily. I don't use a winter cover. With a pool your size, I'd definitely get a robot for above ground pools.

Are you installing yourself? The leveling is the hardest part. It's also the most important part.
So, I'm convinced! SWG is the way to go! Do you have a preferred brand of solar covers that you recommend? They're rather expensive for what looks like bubble wrap! LOL!

We have a small tractor & backhoe, so we are planning on leveling the ground ourselves. We have around a 13% slope across the yard, so we will be cutting around 2ft on the high side. It will be a lot of work, which is why I'm trying to make sure we start in time!

I'd skip Intex maintenance kit. I don't have one, but my pool had come with a pole and small leaf skimming net. The pole was 9' long...on a 26' round pool you need 13' just to get to the center from the edge, let alone overhang. And the quality wasn't great.

I got a Skimlite 9016 pole, seems like decent quality, extends from 8-16'. You'll want some sort of leaf bag for scooping up leaves from the bottom if you're anywhere near trees, a net to skim stuff off the surface probably, a brush and a vacuum & vacuum hose.
I was wondering about the pole length that comes with the Intex kit. I'll need an extra foot just to make up for my height with an above ground pool! LOL!

The vacuum needs a connection. I installed and highly recommend adding a through-wall skimmer. Yes, you have to cut your pool wall and yes that's scary, but it makes a huge difference in catching stuff before it sinks to the bottom of the pool. There's multiple threads on this, see the link in my signature for my own install with lots of pics. I did it without draining, but a slight draining makes it easier to do. Once you have a skimmer this comes with a plate that connects to a hose that you can use to vacuum the pool.

If you had a robot I'm guessing you could probably skip the manual vacuum, but I don't yet have a robot. I'm planning on getting the Aquabot Rover Jr this year, a popular model for above ground pools, around the $300 mark. I tried the $80 Intex auto pool cleaner, would probably work better on a smaller pool, not sure how it would work on a large rectangular Intex. Very limited capacity though, and hooking it up and disconnecting it is moderately annoying. That's why I want the robot, just throw in, then pull out when done. No fiddling with hoses.
I guess I should have read your comment before asking my question to @YippieSkippy. I assumed the vacuums just plugged into the intake for the pump and didn't realize a skimmer played into this equation. (I really know next to nothing about pool maintenance and care!) So do I need to pick a skimmer before I pick a vacuum? I read your post regarding the skimmer install and plan to do something similar. I was just hoping to delay that a few months until the thought of cutting a brand new pool doesn't seem so terrifying! :) I'll have to look back over your post. I assume you list the brand of skimmer in there somewhere. If not, I'll be back asking more questions.

If hiring out leveling to a landscape company or similar, get in their books ASAP. If leveling by hand, start as soon as it's warm enough to work outside. You do NOT want to be doing that in the heat of summer! You can always put the pool up earlier, even if it's not swim season.

As mentioned you can swim while it's filling if you want. But if you don't, you can add a couple ppm of FC and swim immediately when it's full. Honestly it's not much work to test and adjust things, and none of it will prevent any swimming. What will prevent swimming right away? The water will probably be too cold to enjoy. :)

Other things to consider: You could put foam under the pool for a better feel. Will also help keep the pool somewhat warmer, probably.
We have a small tractor & backhoe, so we are planning on leveling the ground ourselves. Even with the tractor, I don't want to be doing all that work in the heat of summer!

I've read about the foam on the forums and plan to check prices. I saw lots of info on which type of foam to get, but I don't recall seeing a recommended thickness. What thickness did you use?

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone!

I assumed the vacuums just plugged into the intake for the pump and didn't realize a skimmer played into this equation.
I don’t think they need to. If I understand correctly some in ground pools have a dedicated suction port for vacuum. But the Intex ports won’t work for this, they have grates which would jam leaves in the hose, you’d need to do custom plumbing, which admittedly you have to do for the skimmer to some extent. The skimmer acts like a pre-filter and reduces the need to open the leaf basket on the pump itself though.

I've read about the foam on the forums and plan to check prices. I saw lots of info on which type of foam to get, but I don't recall seeing a recommended thickness. What thickness did you use?
Uhh, the link to my post about the skimmer install is actually my mega build thread, some 350 posts or something like that currently, and counting! It’s in there somewhere...

If I must be pressed to recall/guess I’d say it was 3/4” tongue and groove foam.

One other point nobody mentioned is that lots of the pump filter combos that come with the intex pools are undersized and give the owners a run for the money. I would try to separate them in the purchase and get a real pump and filter that'll make your life along with the lives of your family much more pleasant. 14K gallons is nothing to sneeze at and need good equipment. I look at it this way. You spend lots of money to enjoy your backyard. This will surely increase the time you can swim versus playing with incompatible equipment. Oh and don't get their SWCG. It's worthless with next to non adjustability.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I don’t think they need to. If I understand correctly some in ground pools have a dedicated suction port for vacuum. But the Intex ports won’t work for this, they have grates which would jam leaves in the hose, you’d need to do custom plumbing, which admittedly you have to do for the skimmer to some extent. The skimmer acts like a pre-filter and reduces the need to open the leaf basket on the pump itself though.

Uhh, the link to my post about the skimmer install is actually my mega build thread, some 350 posts or something like that currently, and counting! It’s in there somewhere...

If I must be pressed to recall/guess I’d say it was 3/4” tongue and groove foam.
Good to know. If I need to do custom plumbing, I'll go ahead with the through-wall skimmer from the start. I know I read through your skimmer installation post (tons of photos at every step), so I'm sure I can find it again. Now that I'm thinking about it, I believe it is easily accessible from the Intex Pool Sticky thread. That thread has a lot of useful info!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DO Not waste your time even thinking about Ozone or ECO--- Huge waste of money!
That is what I thought most of the posts were saying. I don't think Inex sells a SWG without one or the other, though. I'm assuming neither will hurt and I should just get the cheaper model all else being equal.
One other point nobody mentioned is that lots of the pump filter combos that come with the intex pools are undersized and give the owners a run for the money. I would try to separate them in the purchase and get a real pump and filter that'll make your life along with the lives of your family much more pleasant. 14K gallons is nothing to sneeze at and need good equipment. I look at it this way. You spend lots of money to enjoy your backyard. This will surely increase the time you can swim versus playing with incompatible equipment. Oh and don't get their SWCG. It's worthless with next to non adjustability.
I had read that Intex pump & filters might be undersized, but I thought that was for the cartridge filters. The pool/pump/sand filter combo was delivered today, but I purchased it through Walmart so I have 90 days to return it, if I find something I like better. I hope that is not the case, cause it weighs 500 lbs and hubby might divorce me if I tell him to load that puppy in the car!! We can open the boxes and carry it piece by piece to the back yard, but loading it into the car in 2 boxes! :eek: I do hear what you're saying and will research it a little more though. I'm curious are the Intex pumps undersized causing poor performance in the first year, or do they just burn up sooner? Are there any other SWCG systems at the same price point as Intex (or somewhere close)? I looked briefly at other systems, but they all appeared to be in another price category 2-3 times that of the Intex models.

I had read that Intex pump & filters might be undersized, but I thought that was for the cartridge filters. The pool/pump/sand filter combo was delivered today, but I purchased it through Walmart so I have 90 days to return it, if I find something I like better. I hope that is not the case, cause it weighs 500 lbs and hubby might divorce me if I tell him to load that puppy in the car!! We can open the boxes and carry it piece by piece to the back yard, but loading it into the car in 2 boxes! :eek: I do hear what you're saying and will research it a little more though. I'm curious are the Intex pumps undersized causing poor performance in the first year, or do they just burn up sooner? Are there any other SWCG systems at the same price point as Intex (or somewhere close)? I looked briefly at other systems, but they all appeared to be in another price category 2-3 times that of the Intex models.
I did not have any issues with the pump that came with my 15,000 Intex. Could it be better? Yes. Does it need to be better? No, it does get the job done. Biggest issue is it requires backwashing more often than a bigger filter would, but especially with the rain we get in the midwest I didn't find that to be a big deal. Not sure how much rain you get in TN. Certainly if you were in Nevada or Californina backwashing a lot would not be ideal.

A nice variable speed pump would likely be better, I think the Intex runs about 400 watts and I remember someone mentioning their VSP ran less that that on low. And probably moved more water at the same time. But at 400 watts, 12 hrs a day, at $0.12/kWh, that's $17 a month in electric to run an Intex pump. Not exactly breaking the bank.

Basically in an ideal world yes, upgrade the pump and filter, but also feel free to use for a while with the Intex pump and filter.

On a related note though I do feel compelled to point out that adding pool equipment rated for use with permanent pools changes the bonding requirements for the pool. In short permanent pools are required to have all equipment bonded, with a bonding ring of wire around the pool connected in multiple locations to the pool. Storable pools are exempt from these bonding requirements when used with equipment rated for storable pools, in part to the required GFCI on all equipment power cords and double insulation construction. So as is the Intex pool can be set up on level ground and plugged in, unless the AHJ says otherwise, but as soon as you add a "real" pump or other equipment not rated for storable pools all the bonding requirements for permanent pools kicks in. I always suggest getting the appropriate permits for a project like this. During my install process I asked this specific question of storable vs permanent pool equipment with our local electrical inspector. It's not something I've traditionally seen discussed here when people talk about adding permanent pool pumps. I think the people with permanent pools think the pool is already bonded, and the people with storable pools don't realize the bonding requirements of permanent pools. :)

I don’t recall the size of the pool you are getting, but you can see the pump/filter/SWG Intex combo I have and it works well with my size Intex. This isn’t the the one that came with - I agree that Intex never includes the right size pump filter with the pool. I also used the Intex auto cleaner in my pool and it worked great, but I don‘t know if it would be appropriate for a much larger pool.

i modified all my connections to the standard 1.5”, and added a thru wall skimmer. I used flex PVC to make new hoses - I didn’t want to hard plumb but I did want something more durable.

Also, my lazy self never took auto cleaner out of pool. I just emptied it about once a week, from inside the pool, and set it on the steps when we were in the pool, to keep it out of the way.

I just got my same pool put up in fall in Central Florida - only swam 3 times. I got an over the wall skimmer for $8 which I like as it doesn't lower the depth of the water as a thru the wall does. I Love the SWG as opposed to chlorine and got a great deal on salt at the end of summer. I did the levelling with a shovel-took me a year and the water level I made was better than the laser leveller which I couldn"t see. Out crushed limerock 2". Best deal on foam- Harbor Freight garage floor puzzle pads I taped together with gorilla wide tape-feels great under the liner. I also have a well-no problem-city water is nasty here. I had to build a retaining wall around the bottom corner as you all said couldn't build up one end as I had to dig out over a foot on the high corner. I added rebar in front of the wall. Only problem - some of the braces turned inward upon filling in the middle of the night- had to dump 3/4 and refill. No problem with the Intex Filter-works fine. I got a Dolphin Escape robot which is Great, climbs up to the top. Easy to clean and use. Pump runs 7 hours, SWG slightly less automatic. Electric bill never went up. I can't lift that cover. Still in the house. I put pool rim fence on a lot of waste as made for round pool. Hired electrician for plug-ins. County signed my permit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.