Sep 12, 2021
Philadelphia, PA 19046
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I just found this forum yesterday, and have been reading everything I can find! Everything here is so much clearer than the other sites I had found previously.

I've been in a new home near Philadelphia with a pool for 2 weeks now. Originally the pool was cloudy, we had it cleaned and the water tested, and it cleared right up. Although the pool cleaner noted high CYA at the time - everything seemed okay.

Now a week later, the pool is green as can be. I had been using test strips, and then took a water sample in to the local store, where they recommended granulated shock treatment - so I did that (and no visible change).

The approximate results I'm seeing now are:
CYA: 120
FC: 7
TC: 7
TA: 80
pH: 7.6
CH: 150

While I wait for my 2006C kit to arrive to get more exact numbers, I'm thinking about my likely options:

1) SLAM process with the high CYA level, and then when it's time to winterize, lower more than normal and adjust balances in the spring
2) drain and refill now, SLAM, and proceed as normal after

Are there other options or recommendations to make the pool usable before the end of the season? Pros/Cons for each of those?

Hello and welcome! Until you get your test kit, I wouldn't do anything as far as a SLAM. You'll need that kit to determine your numbers and FAS-DPD is a must for a SLAM.
Have you downloaded the PoolMath app? For now, I would say add 5 PPM of Liquid Chlorine every day. Run your pump/filter as much as possible, and brush and vacuum every day.
Also, sand filters are notoriously slow at clearing pools so it's going to take time.

If there's chlorine pucks anywhere in the skimmer or floater, take them out. They are only hurting your CYA.

Oh and stay out of the pool store (unless they have good liquid chlorine)! They'll sell you every magic potion under the sun from clarifiers to algaecide and none of it will help.

Report back when you have your numbers and you'll get tons of guidance :)

Welcome to TFP and pool ownership.

Add 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine daily until you get your K-2006C.

Following the SLAM Process with 120 CYA is impractical. It will require a SLAM FC of 48 which is difficult to maintain and will use a lot of liquid chlorine.

It really is best to lower your CYA to 30-40 and then follow the SLAM Process. Read about our No Drain Water Exchange process in Draining - Further Reading

Find a source for liquid chlorine. Figure out the best way for you to drain 70%-80% of your pool and how you going to refill it. Get the needed pump and hoses lined up.

You on municipal water?

Reactions: milesmol
Welcome to the forums! You're in the right place. My CYA was sky-high as well.

I'd lean towards option 2, depending on how soon you think it's likely your pool water will get cold enough not to grow any algae. Where's home for you?

When you get your kit, it's a great idea to test your fill water for TA and CH, that way you'll be able to better plan your levels moving forward and not get surprised by anything. If tabs are the only chlorine you have right now, it's better to leave them running and use whatever you have up before swapping over to liquid chlorine. You can keep the unused tabs, as they're good for vacations or extended away-time.

Good luck and congrats on taking true ownership of your pool.

You have found the right place, this site is a gold mine for pool owners. You will be on track in no time. Notice no pesky pop up ads or advertising banners, simply solid information on how you can take control of your pool. Many fine folks willing to help here too. :cheers:

Reactions: TexEdmond
Welcome to TFP and pool ownership.

Add 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine daily until you get your K-2006C.

Following the SLAM Process with 120 CYA is impractical. It will require a SLAM FC of 48 which is difficult to maintain and will use a lot of liquid chlorine.

It really is best to lower your CYA to 30-40 and then follow the SLAM Process. Read about our No Drain Water Exchange process in Draining - Further Reading

Find a source for liquid chlorine. Figure out the best way for you to drain 70%-80% of your pool and how you going to refill it. Get the needed pump and hoses lined up.

You on municipal water?

Thanks for the info so far! I'll be updating tomorrow when my test kit is supposed to arrive.

I haven't been able to find any liquid chlorine yet - but was able to get some 7.5% bleach from Home Depot.

I have 3 drains (1 in the 'spa', 2 in the main pool), and 2 skimmers. Is it possible to drain by just leaving just one skimmer open and draining via a vacuum tube and the main drains to waste? Or would also not work past the skimmer depth. I attached some pictures of my pad (cleanup of the brush in progress around it).

Attachments

• IMG_9841.jpg
    IMG_9841.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9838.jpg
    IMG_9838.jpg
    825.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9840.jpg
    IMG_9840.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 16
Look for this in HD....

Trying to drain using your main drain and pool pump risks damaging an expensive pump if it runs dry. We don't recommend it when a submersible pump for less than $100 will do.

What area in the store do you find this? I looked all over my local HD... May have to look closer next time.

Ask a manager. Check the HD app and it will tell you if they have stock in the store. Sometimes it is not on the floor and I have to ask a manager and show them the app says they have stock and they have to get it down from a shelf.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check the HD app and it will tell you if they have stock in the store.

In this market for some reason that's one item that they almost never show how many are in stock on the app or online. I'm not sure why, maybe it's just because there's such infrequent stock from whatever manufacturer coming in.

1631596821113.png

What area in the store do you find this? I looked all over my local HD...

Like mentioned above, local stores here when they have it, stock it outside back in the back of the garden center by the rest of the pool stuff and fences / trellises, etc.

Thanks for everyone's help so far! (I was able to find the liquid chlorine at a different HD last night)

When I drain the pool later, would it make sense to add chlorine while the water is low to kill the algae (requiring less chlorine)? Or is that not a good idea, since what we really care about is the balance when the pool is full?

When I drain the pool later, would it make sense to add chlorine while the water is low to kill the algae (requiring less chlorine)? Or is that not a good idea, since what we really care about is the balance when the pool is full?
Volume, CYA level and % Liquid Chlorine all factor into how much you add to reach SLAM level. But you also need to circulate and be able to brush so best to bring it back up to waterline level, verify your CYA level (with the new fill water mixed in) and then start to SLAM.

Thanks for everyone's help so far! (I was able to find the liquid chlorine at a different HD last night)

make sure the 7.5% bleach you got is plain plain bleach. No fancy additives or cloromax technology.

Draining is complete down to about 1' average depth (75% drain).

I tested before draining with the K2006C and got a CYA of around 120 - so this should get me back to where I want to be.

Still a decent amount of algae in the pool - see picture of current status.

Anything else I need to keep in mind as I fill it back up? Or just let it fill to the correct level and then SLAM from there?

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 12

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.