New to pool ownership and care; just getting started

AZGeekster

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Peoria, AZ
Hello Everyone! :D

I just found this wonderful resource a few days ago and have been reading like crazy. My wife and I purchased our first house with a pool and I have never had to care for one before... so I am prepared for a steep learning curve. I had hired a pool guy to care for the pool and the first few months were great but he has been skipping visits despite being paid, so I had to let him go. At this point, I am still trying to determine our exact setup for pool hardware... but this is what I have found out so far...

Located in Peoria, AZ
Pool built maybe in the past 10 years...
~12'X25' IG Pebble-tec playpool (estimated ~9k gallons?)
Hayward Super II 1.5hp w/2" pipes(sometimes loud, sometimes very loud, maybe bearings going bad??)
Type of Filter, DE or cartridge? (I haven't opened it up yet) (pressure at 22psi when running)
Hayward Pool Vac (doesn't move despite good suction, parts ordered to replace turbine and A-frame)
Small fountain water feature
3" chlorine tabs in floater
Solar-Safe Pool Cover install scheduled for Aug 7th.

I don't have a chemistry kit yet and don't know the chem values in pool, will order TF100 ASAP to get started.

Photos attached of setup. Any input is appreciated. I will get chem levels posted once I get the TF100.

Obviously I am reading through Pool School and the amazing resources here :)

Thanks!
Andrew
20180729_111540.jpg20180729_111249.jpg20180729_110607.jpg

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Great start in reading through Pool School (here is a link to the ebook Trouble Free Pool School) and ordering a quality test kit.

Your filter appears to be a cartridge. That much pressure sounds high for your set up. I would suggest cleaning them sometime soon. Record your clean pressure after you clean them. Then plan to clean them again when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.

Single speed pumps are noisy. And energy hogs. Start looking at two speed or Variable speed motors.

Also, read about SaltWater Chlorine Generators. The pucks are not sustainable in our climate unless you like to drain and refill a bunch of water often.

You may also want to get the Pool Math app.

mknauss,
I took apart the filter, it is a cartridge filter. Cleaned out the unit/filters and now at 14psi! Thank you!

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Great start in reading through Pool School (here is a link to the ebook Trouble Free Pool School) and ordering a quality test kit.

Your filter appears to be a cartridge. That much pressure sounds high for your set up. I would suggest cleaning them sometime soon. Record your clean pressure after you clean them. Then plan to clean them again when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.

Single speed pumps are noisy. And energy hogs. Start looking at two speed or Variable speed motors.

Also, read about SaltWater Chlorine Generators. The pucks are not sustainable in our climate unless you like to drain and refill a bunch of water often.

You may also want to get the Pool Math app.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.