New to pool maintenance

Hi All,
Starting with a little history, I am in the 3rd full season with a new 12k gallon inground vinyl pool. Followed the pool store recommendations for the first 2 seasons using triclor in the chlorinator and last season was a constant battle with algae. The pool store was no help other than selling me stuff that masked the problem but didn't solve the problem. At the end of the season I started doing my own research and came across TFP. Did a lot of reading over the winter to be ready to take on the maintenance myself.

At the end of last year the CYA was well over 100 but I am doubtful that the pool company could perform an accurate test. Based on the TFP recommendations I drained extra water at the time of closing. So at the beginning of the season, with my new TF100 test kit I was able to determine that the CYA was at 90. I did another drain and refill and the CYA is now at 60 (I have done it 3 times and keep getting the same result, so I am pretty sure I am doing it right). I also had 2 pool stores do a full set of tests just to prove to myself that you can't go by anything they say and they didn't let me down. The results were all over the map and the list of things I needed to buy was long. In fact, I received CYA readings of 0, 70, 90 and over 100 all within a couple of weeks. If I hadn't found TFP who knows what kind of mess I would have now.

Last week the water was really cloudy so it was time to start the SLAM. I got the PH down to 7.3 and the other tests were in range (see below). I was reluctant to do another drain to get the CYA down further as I had an issue with ground water the last time and it left some wrinkles in the liner (something to deal with later). Started SLAMing on Friday and the water cleared up really quickly and was crystal clear by Sunday. The issue I am struggling with now is the pool is going through chlorine at a rate that seems really high based on what I have read in the forums. Yesterday I added about 18 ppm and today I have already added 13 ppm. The past few days are the first consistently sunny hot days we have had so far this season. So am I on the right track and just keep doing what I am doing or could there be something else going on? I did the OCLT last night and the drop was 2.0 ppm.

The pump has been running 24/7 and the solar cover has been off. Should I be concerned that the solar cover could reintroduce algae after the SLAM or will proper maintenance take care of that?

Test results
FC 16.5
CC 0
PH 7.3 (from before SLAM)
TA 130
CH 175
CYA 60

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If the oclt doesn't pass you need to continue the slam. Try not to let too much time pass between testing and adding chlorine. Adding a large amount of chlorine to make up a big loss does not work...you have to stay on top of it to not lose too much at a time.

Your SLAM level for CYA 60 is 24. See FC/CYA Levels. Get FC up to 24 and maintain it at that level.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.