New (to me) Pool Owner

Some people find keeping their ta lower (around 60-70) helps with the frequency of ph rise although targeting a specific number isn’t necessary & can lead to frustration (ta anywhere above 50 isn’t cause for concern)
The tfp recommended levels are influenced by the real world experience gathered from the users of this forum.

The higher recommended levels for pinch a penny are based on the idea that people add chlorine with trichlor pucks & can accidentally tank their ph by doing so.
A ph of 7.8 - 8 is fine & many are able to “let it ride” there for long periods of time finding that it really doesn’t go any higher & it’s their pool’s “happy place”.
This is fine so long as you’re csi is in line.
Small additions of acid (lowering to 7.6/7.8) shouldn’t lower ta too much. So try that & letting ph hang out at the higher end of the range as well as adjusting your automation as Marty suggested. The big ph drops like from 8.0- 7.1/7.2 really drop the ta. No need to add baking soda until ta is in the 50’s.
It’s hard not to want to fine tune every parameter with extreme precision but that will lead to frustration for sure.
The facts are that you have a plaster pool, aerating features, & do not chlorinate with an acidic product so you will always need to add acid periodically to control ph while keeping an eye on ta.
hopefully these tips will make it less complicated & easier to maintain 😊

Some people find keeping their ta lower (around 60-70) helps with the frequency of ph rise although targeting a specific number isn’t necessary & can lead to frustration (ta anywhere above 50 isn’t cause for concern)
The tfp recommended levels are influenced by the real world experience gathered from the users of this forum.

The higher recommended levels for pinch a penny are based on the idea that people add chlorine with trichlor pucks & can accidentally tank their ph by doing so.
A ph of 7.8 - 8 is fine & many are able to “let it ride” there for long periods of time finding that it really doesn’t go any higher & it’s their pool’s “happy place”.
This is fine so long as you’re csi is in line.
Small additions of acid (lowering to 7.6/7.8) shouldn’t lower ta too much. So try that & letting ph hang out at the higher end of the range as well as adjusting your automation as Marty suggested. The big ph drops like from 8.0- 7.1/7.2 really drop the ta. No need to add baking soda until ta is in the 50’s.
It’s hard not to want to fine tune every parameter with extreme precision but that will lead to frustration for sure.
The facts are that you have a plaster pool, aerating features, & do not chlorinate with an acidic product so you will always need to add acid periodically to control ph while keeping an eye on ta.
hopefully these tips will make it less complicated & easier to maintain 😊
Ya got me there! I'm a retired software engineer and I try to hit the middle ranges. If TA can be lower than what was recommended, it should be easier to hit pH target. Easier still with the addition of Boric acid.
BTW: What is CSI (Other than the TV show)?

You manage your CSI for that -- see Calcium Saturation Index (CSI)
I read your previous post last. Oops. I have downloaded the the app and plugged in my numbers. All are within range, but my CSI = 0-.58. I'm assuming Salt & Borates are in ppm.
Isn't the app supposed to save my inputs?

I read your previous post last. Oops. I have downloaded the the app and plugged in my numbers. All are within range, but my CSI = 0-.58. I'm assuming Salt & Borates are in ppm.
Isn't the app supposed to save my inputs?
CSI is influenced primarily by pH, TA, and CH. It also is effected by water temperature. It is best to keep the CSI between 0 and -0.3 for a SWCG.

The app will save your inputs if you subscribe to it. Be sure to save the data by selecting the check mark in the upper right of the data entry screen.

CSI is influenced primarily by pH, TA, and CH. It also is effected by water temperature. It is best to keep the CSI between 0 and -0.3 for a SWCG.

The app will save your inputs if you subscribe to it. Be sure to save the data by selecting the check mark in the upper right of the data entry screen.
Sorry to say, but this app is very confusing. Target FC is 4.0 to 11.0? There's no checkmark for saving CSI. I added a log with FC, pH, TA, CH, & CYA. I have to go into the CSI calc to add the missing values.

For CSI to show, you need to go into Setting (Gear Icon) and turn on Track CSI. Also Salt. Also turn on Sharing if you would. That way we all can see your data. Be sure you have set up your pool as Gunite and SWCG.

The FC is based on your CYA level. Minimum is 5% of CYA. Target is 7.5% to 10% of CYA.

For CSI to show, you need to go into Setting (Gear Icon) and turn on Track CSI. Also Salt. Also turn on Sharing if you would. That way we all can see your data. Be sure you have set up your pool as Gunite and SWCG.

The FC is based on your CYA level. Minimum is 5% of CYA. Target is 7.5% to 10% of CYA.
According to the TFP guidelines, ideal CYA is between 70-80. My CYA is 78. Why the high FC recommendation? I thought FC should be between 2 - 4.

According to the TFP guidelines, ideal CYA is between 70-80. My CYA is 78. Why the high FC recommendation? I thought FC should be between 2 - 4.
We follow the FC/CYA Levels & always round up so your cya is considered 80ppm
Minimum for your cya is not the goal - target or slightly above is. This gives you wiggle room incase of heavy bather load, excessive uv or equipment failure etc.

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Minimum for your cya is not the goal - target or slightly above is. This gives you wiggle room incase of heavy bather load, excessive uv or equipment failure etc.

Man, this is confusing. The TFP recommended values chart indicates ideal CYA at 70-80. The FC/CYA chart says above 70 "Not Recommended". Please explain.

Attachments

• Ideal Pool Chemistry.jpg
    Ideal Pool Chemistry.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.