New (to me) house with my first pool

Mar 30, 2017
Cordova, TN
Just moved into a new-to-us house (circa '95 construction), with the first pool we have ever owned. Knowing nothing about pools, I started reading TFP before moving in, got my test kit ordered, and was ready (kind of) for a new experience. I had to get a pool guy out here to show me what all the equipment and valves were for, but I knew enough from here to filter out all the "use copper algaecide, shock once a week, test strips are good enough, don't use liquid bleach because it's bad for the pool - use pucks instead," trash and just take away the mechanics. Good thing, because filter pressure was around 26, and he said it should be around 15. Cleaning it was a yucky, but instructive, experience. I think I'm going to have to get some new filter cartridges as they looked really beat up. I also get a lot of gunk in the polaris filter screen at the pressure outlet. Since that comes from the pump (?) I think the filters not working as good as it can.

First round of tests gave me a CYA of close to 100, so I decided to partial drain and refill. Now that I have that done, I tested everything again and got these numbers:

FC 2.0
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 90
CH 75
CYA 60
Temp 76F

My first thought is raise the FC. The TA and CH also need to come up. Should I Do it all at once, or tackle one at a time?

The pool guy said that I have an algae problem. The water is pretty clear, but there is some clumps of green on the pool bottom that "poof" away like dust when brushed. I think after I get everything where it should be I may SLAM.

Also, not confident on the pool capacity. Pool guy took one look and said 30k, based on knowing the pool style. I understand the concept of measuring the pool, but the deep end sloping really doesn't give me confidence in getting a good number. Maybe bringing the FC up will point to how accurate 30k is?

I attached photos to show the pool shape and the slopes. The clumps of stuff that may be algae or something else are visible.

Any help would be appreciated. Looking forward to getting the chemicals in control, and keeping them there without a pool guy!

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 55
Well, that's interesting. By PoolMath I should have been able to raise FC from 2 to 24 with 8.1 jugs (121 oz) of 8.25% bleach. I dumped 8 jugs in, brushed the sides, and tested about 90 minutes or so later. Came up with a FC of 27.5! Playing with the calculator it looks like the pool is actually 26,000 gallons. At least that's a preliminary estimate, not sure how accurate. Going to have to get the wife to help me measure this weekend. Still not sure how to adjust for the slopes, though.

Well, that's interesting. By PoolMath I should have been able to raise FC from 2 to 24 with 8.1 jugs (121 oz) of 8.25% bleach. I dumped 8 jugs in, brushed the sides, and tested about 90 minutes or so later. Came up with a FC of 27.5! Playing with the calculator it looks like the pool is actually 26,000 gallons. At least that's a preliminary estimate, not sure how accurate. Going to have to get the wife to help me measure this weekend. Still not sure how to adjust for the slopes, though.
Well, you're certainly keeping the FC level up! :smile:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.