New to inground pools

Tests with proper kit:

FC 1
CC 2
pH 7.0
TA 90
CH 140
CYA 120
So I'm not worried about pH since I'm adding liquid chlorine, by understanding is that liquid chlorine will raise the pH.

CH isn't a huge concern this being a fiberglass pool. I'll pick up some calcium chloride this week to raise it to at least the minimum.

However I'm highly considering a chlorine slam. Thoughts?

P.S. water is clearer today and continues to clear, but I'd like to get that FC level up.

Ok. Commencing. Pool math says a little over 7 gallons.
Nope, for our purposes here on this forum, adding Liquid Chlorine is a pH neutral event.

Ok, interesting. Just was reading that liquid chlorine is the highest pH of all methods of chlorination. So that is why I was thinking that pH would naturally raise with adding chlorine.

but I will consider it pH neutral. And plan on taking action to raise pH this week.

So just went out and added 2 more gallons of chlorine. Sunny day here, though pretty cool temp wise. And chlorine was lower than it has been recently.

However, I can now see the main drain in the deep end! The water continues to clear. However, it took me 5 minutes to clean out cottonwood seeds from the skimmer! Nasty things.

Clearing continues. I'll continue to add chlorine.

OH YEAH!! So glad to hear you can see the main drain.

pH-you can turn your returns up so they roll the water really good to get the pH to go up. If I run mine like this overnight my pH is at 8.0 by the morning.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So last night I couldn't get any pink when I added the chlorine powder. So for the second night in a row I poured in 2 gallons of chlorine. Tonight I check. FC is at 5. CC is at .5. So I added a gallon to get over 10 FC.

Yesterday was bright sunny, high around 69. Today overcast and 75. Does cloud cover really make that much of a difference?

Water is almost completely clear now! Thanks for the guidance, Kim!

I hope you are keeping a journal of your pool's needs making sure to include big weather like all cloudy day, FULL sun day, Big rain, etc. as it DOES make that big of difference. After a while you will be able to know what to do just from your journals!

I found my pH is very impacted by a heavy rain so I know I will need to lower it afterwards. That is what comes from learning your pool. I can tell by looking at my water if my pH is high as it does not sparkle as much. I run the test to see how much muriatic acid to add and go from there.

You will be there soon!!

Now that I have clear water, I vacuumed up the remaining dead algae last night. This morning I have more settling so obviously though I did carefully, I stirred some back up. Or maybe the filter is allowing a small amount through (doubtful considering I have a brand new filter cartridge) or there is still some in my lines from running it through the system with a compromised cartridge.

Anyway, anyone know where I can get a good inline filter? I poked around online and came up empty.

Learning to not trust the test strips was the biggest eye-opener of all!

Same here! I realized how bad they were when I held one up and it showed a bunch of levels off the charts including CYA. I panicked and thought I'd have to drain my pool. Turns out CYA was only around 20 and my other levels weren't nearly as bad, but the pH was lower than the test strip said.

So one booboo. I was swimming on Saturday. I've told everyone here that we kept our floating rubber duck chlorine dispense because my W thinks it is cute. So I picked up while swimming and was surprised that I smelt chlorine in it. So I opened to find two pucks, about 1/3rd dissolved, in the dispenser. So I dumped them out (I put two rocks in the bottom of the duck so he'd still float properly). So I will be retesting my CYA later this week.

However, I added a gallon of chlorine on Sunday night. I am getting better about knowing what my pool needs and have been testing every other day. Last night I tested and FC was at 8.5. So I am getting good life out of the chlorine. Since my target is 9 I left it as is, and will test again this evening. We do have a pretty sunny day, high 77, (water temp last night was 69...brrrr), so I'll see what effect that has.

I've also, now that the pool is clear, started running the pump only from 11pm-6am. After 3 weeks of 24x7. I will keep an eye on the pool. This has also meant that I need to skim the pool each night by hand. Which I am good with! Less junk in the filter.

Again, thanks to all the help here. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for kimkats in particular. Great forum.

Newbies: Do not buck the advice. Get a proper test kit. Start using ONLY liquid chlorine. Your life will be much easier!

Those duckies ARE very cute!! Good job putting the rocks in it so she can keep it. Too funny thinking it was empty. I also did the same thing.

I have enjoyed helping you clear your pool! You follow directions and ask good questions! :hug:

Did you know you can become a supporting member? This helps us keep the servers feed so we can keep being here for you and others!!! Here is the link: Become a TFP Supporter - Trouble Free Pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.