New to inground pools

My biggest eye-opener was just how easy it was to maintain a pool once you understood the chemistry. After the money I paid for the pool I'd have sprung for the test kit without thinking about it twice if someone would have bothered to explain it all to me. Of course then they couldn't have sold me all the Crud I didn't need for all those years.

You want to do the FAS-DPD test for chlorine. It's was more accurate than the OTO. I believe the K-2006 has the FAS test. The K-2006c version has bigger bottles of reagents but it's considerably more expensive.

Reactions: kimmielea
Thanks, so I tried removing my filter cartridge and setting my valves to drain so I could vacuum to waste (I don't have a setting like that normally). However, I couldn't get vacuum suction that way. The only way I could was to open at least one of the inlets. But when I did I could see the dead algae blowing back into the pool. That old cartridge is toast. Which is why the pool isn't more clear at this point.

The new cartridge is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to get it.

Do you know about skimmer shocks or such? You can even put a t-shirt in the skimmer basket to help catch some of the waste before it gets to the filter. Just make sure the water can pass through it.

Kim:kim:

Yes, I am going to pick some of those up. I think those are a great idea. Unfortunately this dead algae is like powder. So I am not sure the skimmer socks would pick up much of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay. New filter cartridge in. Filter running. All dead algae vacuumed off of bottom.
Full testing done:

OTO 6
pH 7.2
TA 100
CH 160
CYA 120

When I get my good test kit I'll be able to do FC.

Currently putting in a gallon of chlorine in morning and one at night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.