New to Forum - and owning a Pool! (Plea for Help)

mbflash80

Jun 27, 2019
Danville CA
Hello Everyone, my name is Mike and I just moved into a house and now have a pool for the first time in my life. As a total rookie the first month has seen a very gradual increase in my understanding of my pool and its mechanics.

I am still having issues in understanding the valves and what they do. My main issue is keeping the spa water fresh and the waterfall flowing into the pool. Will the spa spillover to the pool only when the pump is on? I have my valves labeled but I still dont know what is the best "normal" setting and what I need to do to get the spa ready for use. I know in spa mode i turn on the spa suction and the spa return but what about the spa bypass? Do I need to adjust that at all? I have attached a picture of my system...pool return is far left, spa suction is bottom, spa return is middle, and spa bypass is on top. Any general advice on how these 4 valves work? Any advice on how i should leave these most of the time? Any help is appreciated...kind of running in circles here chasing my own tail.

I have already hired and fired one weekly pool service because they were not helpful in spending time to teach me how to use the system...have another service starting next week so hopefully they can get me going...but thought in the meantime i might post here for help. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20190626_184800.jpg
    20190626_184800.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to the forum!
If you could, step back a bit and take a few more pictures. You should have a spa make up line that will send water to the spa when in Pool mode. In other words, when you are getting the water from the pool only to the pump and sending water back to the pool only, there normally is a line that sends a little water to the spa.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: mbflash80
The Jandy valve on the spa make up line (one in the 'back' that bypasses the valve to either pool or spa) is fully closed right now. To keep your spa chlorinated, you need to open that valve enough to get flow. You do not want it wide open as the spillover will be big and will cause your pH to rise. Just enough to get flow.

I know you can manage this pool without a 'pool guy'. Read pool school. TFPC is very different from how 'pool guy's will manage your pool water chemistry and how pool stores will push how to do it. It is cheaper and provides a far superior swimming experience.

Reactions: mbflash80
The Jandy valve on the spa make up line (one in the 'back' that bypasses the valve to either pool or spa) is fully closed right now. To keep your spa chlorinated, you need to open that valve enough to get flow. You do not want it wide open as the spillover will be big and will cause your pH to rise. Just enough to get flow.

I know you can manage this pool without a 'pool guy'. Read pool school. TFPC is very different from how 'pool guy's will manage your pool water chemistry and how pool stores will push how to do it. It is cheaper and provides a far superior swimming experience.
Thank you! I appreciate it and hope to make some progress soon!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.