New to "closing" a pool: don't have cover: what to do this winter?

EarpWJ

May 23, 2019
Northern CA
I recently bought a house with a pool in the South. I am from the west coast and have never heard of closing a pool. No one where I was from ever put a pool cover on. From what I understand is that when the weather starts to get too cold for pool use, people put a cover on the pool and wait till next summer.

The house I bought did not come with a cover for a pool and I hear that a 1/2 way decent pool cover can run like $3k. So it looks like I am not going to close the pool this winter. What problems will I run into by not closing it? I know winter will bring a large volume of leaves that will need to be removed, but other than that and water chem keep up, is there any other large problem with leaving it uncovered for the winter?

What type of pool? What size? What type of decking? Where are you located more exactly then the South? Put your location in your profile. Put details of your pool in your signature.

Post some pics so we see what you are working with.

IG liner, not sure of gallons (see image below for dimensions), concrete decking, Northern Alabama. There are no trees hanging over the pool, but there plenty of tall trees on the property that will be dumping leaves. The owner had a cover at one point, and I think there are some attachment points in the concrete.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.