Cover not closing fully - also slow to close

DougalBH

Jul 7, 2023
London
We have an Aquaguard Electric pool cover with polymer side track ropes to open and close. The mechanism operates with a hydraulic pump. There is only one company that services / repairs Aquaguard in the UK and they are based hundreds of miles away. The cost of getting them here is extortionate! The cover was installed in 2007 and was serviced three yers ago, with a new cover and mechanism installed. From my research ( there seems to be little info about Aquaguard on You Tube) I believe there is a way to adjust the speed of opening & closing the cover. At the moment, it closes to about 1 metre short of the pool end. Only by going back & forth about 6 times can I get it to fully close. It opens fine. I have checked the obvious things such as debris in the tracks, water in the pit, oil in the pump etc. All is good. From looking at other units, some seem to have a pressure release valve that once released, allows you to use a wrench or screwdriver to adjust the speed of the cover. I wonder if anyone could see from the attached photos whether that is an option on this system as I am not sure what I am looking for? In my naivety I thought there wold be two torque adjustment options on the mechanism, one for opening & one for closing. But I can't see any. Unfortunately we inherited the pool with the house and there is no manual and I can't fine any on the web. Any pointers gratefully received as I am trying to avoid having to pay £1500 for a site visit!
IMG_5062.jpegIMG_5097.jpegIMG_5098.jpegIMG_5099.jpegIMG_5100.jpegThanks Dougal

Welcome to TFP.

You need to post higher resolution photos that can be zoomed in on to see details for anyone to examine your system thorough the forum.

I would look to understand what sensors and limit switches the system controls have. Those are not likely to be visible in pictures.

The most likely cause too much friction on the ropes, either due to debris in the track or the hem were the cover material wraps around the rope is getting frayed.
The other thing to check are the pulleys, particularily the the ones at the far end of the track (hopefully they are accessible) as those can wear and bind.

The most likely cause too much friction on the ropes, either due to debris in the track or the hem were the cover material wraps around the rope is getting frayed.
The other thing to check are the pulleys, particularily the the ones at the far end of the track (hopefully they are accessible) as those can wear and bind.
Thanks very much - I have cleaned the pulley at the far end and that has made a difference.
Perhaps reach out to the manufacturer and maybe they can help or provide a manual.

I believe this is their information: AquaGuard | Technics & Applications
Thanks very much but I did contact them a while ago and they said they could not send the technical manual to a consumer. They referred me to their Exclusive UK repair company - who only trade with retailers. That is why it is so expensive as I have to go through several links in the chain. I am going to investigate some quotes to completely replace the pool cover and mechanism with new system that is more competitive in terms of future servicing and costs.

Welcome to TFP.

You need to post higher resolution photos that can be zoomed in on to see details for anyone to examine your system thorough the forum.

I would look to understand what sensors and limit switches the system controls have. Those are not likely to be visible in pictures.
Many thanks. My files were too big for the site, but you are right, if I take this further I will upload single large images separately in future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.