New test.

Mar 5, 2017
Floresville, Tx
Hello all. I drained about 1/2 of the water out of my pool due to high ch other levels. As it did lower some the math says to drain another 53%. I can afford to keep draining and refilling. Is there something I can add to get the levels in check? I also have very hard water if that comes into play. Thank you.

fc 4.5
cc .5
ph 7.8
ta 190
ch 250
cya 55

No. Just hard water in general. It was so high in calcium before because I had too many tablets in it all winter thinking more was better in the winter months. It ended up costing me. Now it is bleach all the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yep, you need to stick with bleach from this point forward. Your CYA is on the high side already so you don't want to add any Dichlor or Trichlor which will raise your CYA. Cal Hypo will raise CH. Your CH is okay now but you don't want that get out of whack as before. Stay off the power, granules, hard stuff and stay with liquid bleach.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

With a 55 CYA you need to maintain ~7 - 9 PPM Chlorine. You are too low right now.

You need to stay within recommended levels at all times. Watch your PH and TA as well.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

So with the high cya I should have free chlorine around 7 to 9?

Welcome to TFP! Glad you found your way here.

Short answer, yes. With a tested CYA of 55, round it up and assume you have CYA=60. Per the Chlorine / CYA Chart your absolute minimum FC should be 4ppm and NEVER lower. Your target minimum should be between 7-9ppm. If you know your daily FC burn off is 2-3ppm, then aim and dose to 10ppm and add if below 7ppm. You will need to do this test and add daily.

Okay, this thread needs to take a deep breath.

1. In a climate like Texas, I would not call that CYA too high. TFP would suggest 40-50 as standard so, since the accuracy of the test is around + - 10 ppm, you cannot safely say that a newbie report of 55 ppm is too high.

I can afford to keep draining and refilling. Is there something I can add to get the levels in check? I also have very hard water if that comes into play
I assume you mean "can't afford, right?

3. What levels do you need to "get in check"?.....I don't see any real problems with the numbers you post

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, this thread needs to take a deep breath.

1. In a climate like Texas, I would not call that CYA too high. TFP would suggest 40-50 as standard so, since the accuracy of the test is around + - 10 ppm, you cannot safely say that a newbie report of 55 ppm is too high.
He mentioned that he drained half his pool and his CYA was 55 after draining, so I assumed his CYA and CH was high which caused him to drain. For that reason along with him just recently draining is why I mentioned that he should stop adding Dichlor, Trichlor or Cal Hypo moving forward. Sounds like that's the source of his problem? His wording wasn't real clear, so I'm not sure what he means when he says the math tells him to drain another 53%?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.