New SWG Troubles

Jul 15, 2017
Wichita, KS
I have 16x48 Intex Ultra Frame Pool with 1500 Gal pump and cartridge filter that is in it's 3rd season. Recently purchased Intex Saltwater System with ECO model 8110. Using Taylor test kits for results.

Current Results:
FC=1
Ph=8.0 (need to add muriatic acid, the water level is low so that i can use the inlet to aerate to try to get TA down)
TA=260
CH=275
CYA=65
Salt=3,200

This salt water generator is the devil. We started with fresh fill water from a well. Put in a container of CYA via sock in front of the inlet (have since added more to increase, need to add a bit more to bring the level up). Dumped in 3 40lb bags of salt, let the pump run 24 hours, then set up the SWG. I set it to run for 7 hours with the pump running for 8 hours as per the instructions.

Tested the next night and there was 0 chlorine in the pool...okay, maybe I need to run the boost mode to get the initial chlorine up. Put it in boost mode, turned the pump on to continuous so it ran for 24 hours. Tested the next night and the chlorine was 1...really, that's it? Let it run another 24 hours, test and chlorine was 3. Seems like it should be higher than that. So at this point it's been hooked up 3 days. I go inspect the unit and find this...

IMG_5868.jpg

How does 3 days of running cause this much build up on the cell? Do I have a bad unit? Is it because calcium hardness is 275 (which is within range according to the Water Balance for SWG page)? Is it because TA is too high?

I didn't have time that night to pull the cell out to clean it, so i just let it run another 24 hours. Pulled it this morning and put it in vinegar to clean. Just now tested and chlorine is 1. I'm pulling my hair out here. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Wiser individuals will soon chime in, but your CSI is off the charts high which is causing your scaling problem. You seem to have some misconceptions about the procedure used to lower TA. Get your PH down quick, and raise your chlorine levels with bleach, then study up on the TA lowering procedure and the Pool Math calculator.

You'll be squared away in no time.

What misconceptions? According to pool school lower TA and Ph with acid. Aerate to increase Ph. Repeat until TA is at appropriate level.

You read the procedure correctly. You should not let the pH get so high though. The combination of high pH and TA is causing Calcium to come out of solution and scale on the plates of your SWG. Take pH down to 7.0 and aerate it back up to 7.6. Repeat until TA is down within recommended range. Put all of your test results in Pool Math and check CSI at the bottom. Positive number over 0.6 is going to scale up your cell badly.

SWG is great for maintaining a level of FC, but not strong enough to overcome daily loss. use bleach to get to your target FC, and use your cell to keep it there, once you have scaling under control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.