New SWG acting funny

Rr42

Jul 1, 2018
Millis, MA
We had our first inground pool installed in October of last year. We are totally new to pool ownership/maintenance so forgive me if I’m not yet fully versed on everything.

This spring when our pool builder opened the pool, he started up the pump but said it would be a while before the SWG could run bc the pool water was under 60 degrees. We waited until the pool water was around 64-65 degrees and then tried to start SWG but the “check salt” and “check cell” lights came on (steady). I was confused by this bc according to everything I read, it should have been working. We had our water tested and the salt level was 3200, the water temp was high enough, etc etc. We tried to be patient bc our pool builder was slammed and didn’t have time to come over. We kept trying it everyday for almost a month and finally the system randomly started working one day two weeks ago. I noticed that it started working three days after I shocked the pool. Unfortunately, we’ve continued to have issues with the SWG. Even set to 20%, our chlorine levels were super high...7-10 depending on the day. Our local pool store advised us to just shut off the SWG and let the chlorine dissipate, which we did. Then last week when our chlorine was back down to 1.8, we turned the SWG back on and sure enough, the “check salt” and “check cell” lights went back on steady again. So frustrating. Called pool builder who said to bring water to pool store to check salt level. Pool store tested our water and said salt level was 3150 so it didn’t make any sense. Pool builder said they would put in a maintenance call to Hayward for us. In the meantime, we have been adding chlorine ourselves to keep the pool chemistry good. I added chlorine last night. This morning for kicks I decided to try the SWG again and guess what....it’s working again.

So...my questions... is it possible that the SWG won’t work properly unless there is an adequate level of chlorine in the pool already? Could it be a bad salt cell? Pool store said it could take weeks if not months to see a Hayward tech come out here. This is our first season with the pool. Am I unreasonable to think that the PB should just come out and try replacing the salt system since clearly it’s not working properly and it’s brand new?

In the interest of full disclosure, we’re also having another issue. Three times now, on random occasions, we have come outside and noticed that the pump isn’t running. We open the control panel and see the following msg “Check System Drive overload System is resuming Please wait...” I asked PB and they said to just switch off the breaker to turn everything off, wait a couple min, and then turn it back on. It resolves the issue but is that normal??

Thanks for any advice.

The error's you describe are common when trying to run the SWG when the temp is too low. The SWG does not care about the chlorine level in the water. But it DOES care about salt level. I suggest getting the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit. It is very accurate. I would also suggest you not have any of your water tested by the pool store as they are known to have inaccurate, non-repeatable levels. Get the TF-100 test kit it is very accurate. All of you chemical additions should be based on accurate testing.

Reactions: Rr42
What are the diagnostic readings?

Check the readings, then move the switch to off for a minute then back on and recheck the readings.

What is the model number from the inside of the door?

What cell do you have?

What is the actual salinity?

Is the box powered when the pump turns off?

For your system, they should have used the automation box instead of the Aquarite box to coordinate the pump and SWG.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.