New suction vac not sucking!

Thanks for the update. I still believe that my method will work equally well and a lot simpler. Prepare little bit of an over sized thicker tarp material or thin rubber mat while the pump is running and it'll seal it by virtue of suction.
Thank you. I'll try that. it sure does sound simpler. If the vacuum goes over the tarp, will it pull it off?

A pool robot cleaner is another solution. No need to change your pump or modify your plumbing and removes the debris and dust from your pool system after each cleaning.

Dear Friends, I'm just following up on my suction debacle. As it turns out, I just need a little plastic piece called a "diverter." I'm attaching a picture b/c as soon as you see it, you'll recognize that my system was designed to use this to divert the skimmer from the main drain to increase suction. The moment I put it in the hole on the bottom of my skimmer box and into the side pipe (see previous picture), the force on my suction vacuum shot up from zero to 6 (max). Now I have the opposite problem... too much suction...as Zodiac recommends a suction force of 3. But that's a much better problem to have. Now the Zodiac G3 Pro does climb the pool walls. Indeed, it could probably climb El Capitan.

Also, to respond to a suggestion from yesterday, I did try putting a piece of tarp over the main drain to block it, but there was insufficient suction to create a seal. The tarp kept floating away. I instead put a frisbee over it, and that did seal after a minute or so, but not tightly. With the frisbee over the main drain, the suction force increased from zero to 0.7, which is still too weak for optimal vacuum performance. I think the issue is the main drain is about 10-12 inches in diameter, and the water drains all around its perimeter, so the suction is dispersed over a considerable area rather than a 1.5-inch hole. That causes the suction at the main drain to be far too weak to pull any sizeable material around it. I suspect it was designed that way as a safety feature.

Greg

Attachments

• 20230511_190943.jpg
    20230511_190943.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.