New stenner econ T install

May 22, 2017
ALEXANDRIA, VA
After a long debate with myself to whether get a salt system, mineral system, getting quotes from different builders I ended up doing it myself with a stenner install.
I wasn’t planning on doing it since Covid it is hard to find bleach/chlorine around me but i think it is for the best.
I went with Econ T which pumps max of 8.5 gallons of chlorine in a day - more than enough for any pool.
i set it up to run 1 hour after dark and 1 hour early in the morning which should give me around 45 oz of liquid add on every time it runs. I will probably need to adjust it as I go. I realized my test kit needed a refill so i do not have exact pre and post measures yet in terms of FC.

Hopefully no more worrying about the pool so I can relax on vacations.

For chlorine tank I went with an old chlorine tablet bucket. Just drilled a hole on the lid for the pipe and it should hold for now near the equipment pad. I do have plans to put it in shade under my sunroom but first I need to clean all the Crud under it.

I dont have ton of pictures but I will take some tomorrow of the setup when its light out.
this was also my first pool plumbing fix. That first cut was hard, but once I got it cut rest was easy.

Attachments

• A5F077B8-C6B9-4266-B103-176695D853F8.jpeg
    A5F077B8-C6B9-4266-B103-176695D853F8.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 78A31D0C-BA1F-4567-8D7D-4499711BAB6F.jpeg
    78A31D0C-BA1F-4567-8D7D-4499711BAB6F.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 43
  • D856468E-4AAC-4FE6-8F2A-B3C4E6D7624C.jpeg
    D856468E-4AAC-4FE6-8F2A-B3C4E6D7624C.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 33
  • 358E1F5F-2A81-4C7D-A008-B5C9C72DD606.jpeg
    358E1F5F-2A81-4C7D-A008-B5C9C72DD606.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 35
  • 445B88BD-7FD8-4BBA-9FD9-A502D2898B99.jpeg
    445B88BD-7FD8-4BBA-9FD9-A502D2898B99.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 35
  • AC389D82-DA4C-47C8-8172-AD03BA41E656.jpeg
    AC389D82-DA4C-47C8-8172-AD03BA41E656.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I added some more pictures.

current setup is, I run the stenner for 1 hour from 9amto10am. My pump starts running at 8am on a timer so it will be just fine. So far so good.
looks like my settings are just fine my levels are steady.
I added some insulation to the bucket just to protect it little bit. Project next year is to put the bucket and stenner behind that wall so they are protected from sun and weather.

I have the exact model of pump. It’s works great. I think you’ll be very happy with it. I certainly am happy.

The only comment I might add is that you should validate the pump performance. Based on the published specs, my pump should deliver 16 oz of liquid in about 21 minutes. I used a graduated container to test that before install. After 4-5 tests, the pump consistently delivers about 20 oz of fluid in 21 minutes.

It performs flawlessly once I calculated delivery based on actual performance versus published performance.

I imagine when I change the tube, I’ll have to test delivery again.

Also, did you vent the bucket? If the hose fits loosely, you may not have to. If you search or otherwise review my posts, I did one on my install.

I might also respectfully suggest the mounting plate for that model. I imagine you don’t want to leave it outside all winter and the plate makes removal and reinstallation very simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
I added some more pictures.

current setup is, I run the stenner for 1 hour from 9amto10am. My pump starts running at 8am on a timer so it will be just fine. So far so good.
looks like my settings are just fine my levels are steady.
I added some insulation to the bucket just to protect it little bit. Project next year is to put the bucket and stenner behind that wall so they are protected from sun and weather.

FWIW, I discovered that I get much more consistent FC readings throughout the day by dosing multiple times for shorter periods. I dose for 30 minutes in the morning when the pump kicks on then again about 2 pm for 20 minutes then again about 7 pm for 20 minutes. My pool is full sun, so my FC UV loss is pretty bad, about 4 ppm per day.

I have the exact model of pump. It’s works great. I think you’ll be very happy with it. I certainly am happy.

The only comment I might add is that you should validate the pump performance. Based on the published specs, my pump should deliver 16 oz of liquid in about 21 minutes. I used a graduated container to test that before install. After 4-5 tests, the pump consistently delivers about 20 oz of fluid in 21 minutes.

It performs flawlessly once I calculated delivery based on actual performance versus published performance.

I imagine when I change the tube, I’ll have to test delivery again.

Also, did you vent the bucket? If the hose fits loosely, you may not have to. If you search or otherwise review my posts, I did one on my install.

I might also respectfully suggest the mounting plate for that model. I imagine you don’t want to leave it outside all winter and the plate makes removal and reinstallation very simple.
Thanks for the suggestions, i did not vent the bucket but i assume some gas escapes from the hole i drilled. If I see any issues i may just drill another hole. I do have a vent thingy from brewing beer to allow gasses to escape so i may even use that.

plan is to definitely move it away from the sun, so until then i will move it indoors for winter. Hopefully this season I will finish it.

I was thinking about doing multiple runs in a day to inject at various times instead of just one longer run in the morning. What you tried seems like its a good idea. I am shooting little bit higher since its better to be high then low, plus it has been extremely hot recently.

@erhanuyar

THANK YOU!! Ohhhhhh I am looking to do this to my 33' AG pool in the spring so researching now (pool is closed here in Ohio). Im looking to spring for the ECON T as well and wanted to know if you could share info on your 3rd photo... what parts you used? Specifically the T connector for the chlorine to be infused into.... Is this just a "regular PVC T"? It looks threaded? Im QUITE handy and want to get this done! TIA!!

Attachments

• Snip20201105_5.png
    Snip20201105_5.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 12
@erhanuyar

THANK YOU!! Ohhhhhh I am looking to do this to my 33' AG pool in the spring so researching now (pool is closed here in Ohio). Im looking to spring for the ECON T as well and wanted to know if you could share info on your 3rd photo... what parts you used? Specifically the T connector for the chlorine to be infused into.... Is this just a "regular PVC T"? It looks threaded? Im QUITE handy and want to get this done! TIA!!
Yes, it is a 1/2" T the injection fitting is screwed into. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to email: [email protected]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.