New Spa Owner, how do I clear up cloudy water?

I was somewhat thinking the same thing about FC usage until I read this "the rule of thumb is, you'll use approximately 7 ppm FC per person per hour in a 350 gal tub. "
I use my tub nightly, for about half hour to an hour each time... so basically my SWG operating 8 hours a day can basically not even, or barely keep up with a single bather load nightly...
So its not surprising that you have to add a lot of chlorine.

Yeah, it is what it is. You need to test, and add as needed. Turning down water temps helps increase the amount of time inbetween chlorine additions when not in use.

About the salt water thing, what this does, is just make chlorine for you. That's it. Sounds like it would be nice to me, however, the fundamentals with testing and making sure the water stays sanitized are all the same.

What I gather from reading other peoples experiences with these units in hot tubs, is that they work very nicely for maintaining chlorine levels in the spa when not in use. These folks still add bleach after soaking.

Also SWG's tend to raise PH. CYA is still needed. You still need to test for, and ajust these things.

I hope this helps.

I have been through everything you are describing right now and the best advice I can give you is order the TF testkit so that you understand where your water chemistry is and then throw away the test strips! Test Kits

Once you have the test kit, do an Ahh-some purge, refill and run the tub, drain and refill and follow the TFP method outlined in the sticky (How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?). Once I followed the above sequence I have been on the same water for 4 months and it is just as clear as it was the day I put it in and it feels/smells great. I am sold on this method after months of headaches and constant fights with water chemistry.
Link is not working???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.