New SoCal IG shotcrete pool build - equipment set, Final Inspection Passed, Pebble Done! Salt added. Back deck in process

I did notice one concern when reviewing the manual that I did not see anywhere else. It states in the manual max chlorine is 4ppm and we are currently testing at 6ppm.
The industry is stuck in the 80s where science hadn't figured out the relationship between CYA and FC yet. O CYA 4FC water is harsher than any level on the FC/CYA Levels

Since I now have room for 5 more intellivalves, I'm trying to figure out a way to automate the three way between the slide and waterfall. That valve is located on the stairs so further than 20ft away.
I also am trying to think thru how to replumb the deck jets to the feature pump as they should have been. The kids wanted the deckjets on and the spa spillway which can't happen as currently plumbed
So frustrating to me that most PB's don't do a plumbing plan and go through how things will operate before just plumbing it all up. I ran into the same issue. My wall scuppers were plumbed to my filter pump and I couldn't run my spa and those at the same time. Had to replumb so those were on the features pump.

--Jeff

The industry is stuck in the 80s where science hadn't figured out the relationship between CYA and FC yet. O CYA 4FC water is harsher than any level on the FC/CYA Levels
👍 I am currently at 40 cya ( moving up slowly since I am still getting used to the test kit) and 6fc

Reactions: Newdude
Smorobot finished its first run while we went out for dinner and did more than I anticipated. It reminded me of the first time i used roomba, the path made no sense , but it ultimately got everywhere.
20220716_205759.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
So... smorobot lasted exactly 2 uses plus 15m. At some point while climbing the wall to the baja shelf it fell backwards and ended up upside down at the bottom of the pool. When I pulled it out it never booted again. The company was very quick to send a replacement so hopefully it lasts longer.

On another front, I swam down and removed the drain covers to add the risers. Interesting enough the drain was cut so high that there was almost no gap between the drain and the cover. This may help to explain why brushing all the dirt to the deep ended up leaving it there. The risers are now installed so we shall see.

I think I have the plumbing figured out how to add the deck jets to the feature pump but it will be a pita and require replacement of the check valve and the high temp union. Also, ideally I'll need to cut out the existing three way jandy valve and bore out 2 2" tees to replace the jandy with a sweep el on the pool return.

Received replacement smorobot this weekend and so far ot has run flawlessly twice lol so we shall see.
Also @Turbo1Ton , i got a call back from pentair today and they are sending the bypass issue (closing immediately after call for heat ends without following cooldown timing) to engineering as they said the bypass should be staying open during the cooldown ... but also said that there is some other internal "change" in the newer mastertemps with rs485 that makes a cooldown unnecessary 🙄

PB Is supposed to be here tomorrow to complete the punchlist (now 14 items long) , we shall see

Also @Turbo1Ton , i got a call back from pentair today and they are sending the bypass issue (closing immediately after call for heat ends without following cooldown timing) to engineering as they said the bypass should be staying open during the cooldown ... but also said that there is some other internal "change" in the newer mastertemps with rs485 that makes a cooldown unnecessary 🙄

Thanks for following up with this info. Yeah, I haven't looked into it enough to know that it is necessary to have the cooldown but regardless, if they are gonna go through the trouble of having it, they need to make sure it works properly.

Good luck on the punch list.

--Jeff

Surprise surprise, PB delayed punchlist and will supposedly be here tomorrow. The biggest items are 1. I am suspecting a leak as the autofill runs more than I would expect and the salt level has been steadily drifting down(now at 2800ppm per the taylor test) 2. I beleive there to be a small suction side leak on the circ pump as there is a decent size bubble at the top of the pump basket and some coming out of the return ( but curiously only at lower speeds )
The bearings on one of our near new vsf pumps started howling so we had a pentair tech out here today who replaced the motor. Interesting enough that while the box of the complete pump stated "made in the usa" the motor box and motor was clearly marked "made in italy"
20220729_121806.jpg
On a more positive note, the Tile on the deck made some forward movement today. My tile guy, a longtime family friend, stated today that laying these planks in a bordered diagonal is proving much more time consuming than he had thought 😆 (but that he intends to keep to his original quote thank goodness)
20220729_212006.jpg
Last update is the replacement smorobot seems to be working well and has not yet suffered the same fate as it's brother

Last edited:
2 booooo for the punch list being cancelled and the leak. Hope the leak is found and easy to fix FAST!

booo and yea for the fast fix on the pump and ?? on the labels from here and there

YEA for that deck job so far! That is already looking neat. Poor installer but yeah all of those cuts will add to the time and effort. It will be SO worth it when it is done. I hope you are "taking care of him" by having drink and food out there for him to have while he works. Might want to slip him a bit extra when he is done to keep the friendship intact.

YEA for that deck job so far! That is already looking neat. Poor installer but yeah all of those cuts will add to the time and effort. It will be SO worth it when it is done. I hope you are "taking care of him" by having drink and food out there for him to have while he works. Might want to slip him a bit extra when he is done to keep the friendship intact.
Absolutely! We had his wife and 3 kids over yesterday to eat and swim while he was working which they seemed to enjoy and we loved hearing young kids playing in the pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still no pb so I'm trying to track down the leak as best I can. I noticed significant deposits in the waterfall trough. Should this be happening this quick or might this be where I am losing water? Salt level is down to 2400ppm per the taylor test (but 3500 per the ic40) and the generator seems to be making less chlorine. Pool math suggested adding 70lbs of salt based on the test reading so I split the difference and added 40lbs
20220804_192536.jpg20220804_192544.jpg20220804_192540.jpg

Tile is moving forward slowly, I'm thinking all of my workers must be related to the guys @Newdude is using, they work a few days a year but only if the weather is just right lol.
20220802_080421.jpg

I hate to ask a stupid question but it is what popped in to my head. It the waterfall trough plastered?

LOL on having @Newdude people but NOPE you do not have them as YOUR people look like they are doing a good job. Slow but good so be happy about that!

I'm thinking all of my workers must be related to the guys @Newdude is using, they work a few days a year but only if the weather is just right lol.
My patio guys were supposed to start yesterday. They are a whole different operation from the PB. I got a text around 10AM and looked at the blue sky instead of the phone an knew what it said. :ROFLMAO:

I hate to ask a stupid question but it is what popped in to my head. It the waterfall trough plastered?

LOL on having @Newdude people but NOPE you do not have them as YOUR people look like they are doing a good job. Slow but good so be happy about that!
No, waterfall trough is not plaster, it is cement. The "wet" area of the waterfall all got some type of roll on waterproofing prior to addition of the texture layer.

Tile is set on the main part of the deck and we are really liking the contrast of the border with the diagonals!
20220806_175634.jpg20220806_111831.jpg
I also got the sprinkler valve installed on the autofill today and hooked into the intellicenter. It took signifactly longer than I anticipated as I had to dig down 18" to redirect the line and pretty much ended up restructuring the whole supply from the shutoff valve. I used instructions from an old thread I found on here and pulled 24v ac from valve h on the expansion card ( for reference black and red are 24v constant) to one of the spare relays. I can now use the feature circuit to set a timer for when the auto fill is open. This will allow me to better track usage thru my flume 2 as I'll have it run late at night when there is not likely to be other usage. This will also stop the nuisance leak alerts from flume.
20220806_172940.jpg20220806_172933.jpg20220806_170458.jpg

LOVE the tile layout!! That is so striking and really looks sharp!

Waterfall trough-I am guessing the waterproof stuff was not put on properly or is not a good product aka it is not working like it should. How hard will it be do close off the waterfall and empty the trough? Ask you PB what he used and what he suggests. Maybe he will step up and redo it.

Good job on the sprinkler set up! Yeah nothing goes as fast or easy as we want with doing a big job like that but you got it done!

LOVE the tile layout!! That is so striking and really looks sharp!

Waterfall trough-I am guessing the waterproof stuff was not put on properly or is not a good product aka it is not working like it should. How hard will it be do close off the waterfall and empty the trough? Ask you PB what he used and what he suggests. Maybe he will step up and redo it.

Good job on the sprinkler set up! Yeah nothing goes as fast or easy as we want with doing a big job like that but you got it done!
The trough does empty when the waterfall is off. The calcium deposits are under water (and the thickest deposit vertical) which is what leads me to beleive this is a possible water loss source. I've had the autofill off now for @24 hours and the pool has lost about 1 1/4 inches of water. The waterfall has on for a total of 45 minutes yesterday and the water level is down from last night so I'm losing water somewhere in the po as well. Skimmer is the most likely suspect as there is that unsealed gap (keeping in mind the skimmer had to be jackhammered out and replaced to raise it so it was not a single pour with the bond beam)
20220807_072433.jpg20220807_072446.jpg

Last edited:
I am leaning towards the skimmer being the #1 source with the waterfall a close 2nd :( Now to find a way to stop both of them........Ask you PB what they put on the trough and inside the skimmer to water proof them and we will go from there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.