New small pool in Sugar Land, TX

Flippy,
As far as I understand the deck color will slightly change once they apply the sealer.

Regarding the travertine sealant. The builder is saying that they don't do that as part of the contract, which I am surprised since everywhere in Mastertile it's mentioned that travertine needs to be sealed.

So, where do I go, what brand should I use, etc??? Should I do it myself or hire someone?...

Last summer I remodeled my pool and went thru the same thing you're going thru.

I closely monitored everything and I was not happy with my stamped concrete decking either. They waited too long to stamp so there were spider cracks everywhere. In some areas I also had handprints in the concrete and swirlmarks where the release agent got ground in as they attempted to smooth out the cracks with their fingertips. In many places the concrete had stuck to the matt after they stamped and pulled it back up, so the concrete was not smooth but rough like 24-grit sandpaper.

Plus the color was wrong.

I had people telling me it was "fine", that no one would notice. But you know what? I noticed. And I knew it would drive me nuts.

I made them pull it all out and redo it.

Well, in pulling it up, they damaged some coping. Initially, I was worried that replacing a few pieces of coping would make it look funny, that they might not match the others and maybe I should leave it alone. But I couldn't do that either... and its true, they had to come out 3 times to get the coping repair right, but it got done. Yes, when making something right sometimes further damage can happen, but that doesn't mean it can't be fixed. By the contractor.

If I were in your shoes, I'd make them tear it up and do it again and whatever they damage in doing that, they'll have to repair. They want to get paid don't they? When you're paying as much as you are for your pool and decking, you expect it to be done well and look nice. It will mean your pool takes longer to get finished (my 3 week job took 4 months!) but you're going to have this pool for a long, long time. If you don't address it and get it done the way you want it, you'll regret it 'cos that's the first thing you're going to see every time you go out there... and you know it. Good luck!

firstpoolforme said:
Flippy,
As far as I understand the deck color will slightly change once they apply the sealer.

On my deck the expansion joints are the same color as the deck and you really do not notice the expansion joints. I think I have kooldec or whatever it is called. However I agree with other poster I would make them fix it right or give me a bunch off my bill. I am very anal about a lot and details like that are one of them. Good luck on whatever you decide you still have a great looking pool.

I owe this site my "after construction" pool pictures... We have been enjoying the pool so much that I completely forgot!... :cheers:

Here they are...

Attachments

• Completed 1.jpg
    Completed 1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 178
  • Completed 2.jpg
    Completed 2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 179
  • Completed 4.jpg
    Completed 4.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 177
maxepr1 - The coping is slightly slippery when wet. We actually had a towel from where the kids were jumping into the pool just in case. Now, we have just sealed the travertine and it seems better. So I'll let you know if that helps or not.

shakenbake, 257WbyMag - Thanks for your comments. We love how it turned out. We are very happy.

Here's my experience with travertine. I remodeled a small bathroom last year and used travertine for all surfaces:

bathroom.jpg

Pros:
Not slippery even when wet. This is a good thing because I used it for the floor of the shower also.
Looks great, natural products are much more attractive to me than artifical ones.
Not expensive, especially for the appearance.

Cons:
Must be sealed.
Must be sealed more than once, so this is not a seal it once and forget it job. You'll most likely have to seal annually.
It is not a very durable product. Within 6 months, the installer had to return and fill voids where the original filler came out. (you do know that a portion of travertine is just filler, right?)

I have seen instances where people installed travertine as a kitchen and/or dining room floor. Dropping heavy, solid objects can pretty easily damage the travertine. I have heard, but not witnessed, that stilettos can damage travertine also, so don't wear your high heels around the pool. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. I have to say that after we sealed the coping a few weeks ago, the travertine is not as slippery as it was before. We are not using a towel from where the kids were jumping. We still ask the kids not to run around the pool, but we would do that even with a stone coping. You never know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.