New Sand Filter - Question

spacerobot

Aug 1, 2019
New York State
I just replaced a cartridge filter with a sand filter last week. I had the pool covered as it was cooler this week and just pulled the cover off Saturday. It was the first time since the filter was installed. I saw quite a bit of sand under and out from the return. I vacuumed it up to see if it would come back. I looked back out after a half hour or so and I could already see it forming again under the return. Does this mean that there is something wrong with the filter? Anything else I should check or verify?

Does this mean that there is something wrong with the filter? Anything else I should check or verify?
Sounds like sand is escaping from inside the filter, typically the laterals or connecting hub assembly. It can happen either from poor assembly or if the sand was dumped into the vessel without protecting the laterals (i.e. with about a foot of water). Someone may have to go back into that filter and inspect the laterals and connections.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.