New salt pool in Spain and need help

Lambert

Jul 9, 2022
Valencia/Spain
(I don't know whether I should start a new thread, but I have the same situation as the OP)

My salt water pool is now running for one week. Still crystal clear but I guess not for long.
The company has put too much salt in it. My pool is about 12 kGallon. They put 250 kg of salt instead of (according to my calculation) 140 kg.
No other chemicals were added...

This Tuesday I expect the arrival of 5 kg of cyanuric acid. I will use 3 kg of that. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
Then I need to put chlorine to bring the concentration at a level so the chlorinator can keep up. Here in Spain, I can buy 2 liter bottles of "lejia" in the supermarket. The label says: "hipoclorito de sodio, 37grams of active cloro per liter". Would this be the right stuff? How much should I put in? Lejia in Spain is commonly used as disinfectant/bleach. Wikipedia says hipoclorito is NaClO.

Unfortunately in Spain I cannot buy the testing kit promoted on this site, nor the Taylor 2006C kit... Do you have any suggestions what alternatives to use? I have a pH probe that supposedly is calibrated at the factory. The pH reads 7.8.

After the addition of the cyanuric acid and the chorine, what effect on the pH can I expect?

Do I need to add other chemicals to bring alkalinity into the ballpark? Any other recommendations?

Hello! :wave: I'll try to address some of yoru questions:

The label says: "hipoclorito de sodio
That should work. Be sure it it plan/regular and does not say scented or splashless.

Do you have any suggestions what alternatives to use?
Take a look at the link below and also for people in Spain & Portugal: only BEHQ SL (34-93-846-53-36) or [email protected].

After the addition of the cyanuric acid and the chorine, what effect on the pH can I expect?
Very little if any at all unless the FC level is over 10 ppm

Do I need to add other chemicals to bring alkalinity into the ballpark? Any other recommendations?
Focus on getting that CYA level up as soon as possible and always go to our FC/CYA Levels to see what your FC level should be. That's key to avoiding algae. For salt pools we recommend a CYA level of 70 which is better for the salt generator, but if your water is cloudy or you think you may have algae somewhere, only increase the CYA to about 30-40 and let us know. The pH can usually be anywhere between 7.2 - 7.8. The TA has a very large range of acceptance. If it's anywhere between 50 - 120 you'll probably be okay. But post back later with test results and we can help more.

Reactions: Lambert
Take a look at the link below and also for people in Spain & Portugal: only BEHQ SL (34-93-846-53-36) or [email protected].
Thank you!
I ordered their FTK -126 test kit and hope for reasonable results until I get a better kit.

A burning question remains: how may bottles of bleach should I pour in the pool to get 5ppm free chlorine?
The label says 35 grams active chlorine per liter when the bottle left the factory.
1 ppm equals 1 gram per m3 water. My pool has a volume of 44 m3.
I would need to put 5 x 44 = 220 grams. This would then correspond to 6.3 liters of bleach.

Is this correct????
(Is it necessary to help the SWG because my SWG can generate 30 grams per hour, so in 7 hours full on, the level of free chlorine would be reached.)

Is this correct????
That is correct. You have a 44000 liter pool. The bleach is 3.5%. Using PoolMath, it comes to 6.3 liters of that bleach to achieve 5 ppm FC.

You can run the SWCG at 100% for a day or two and should get to where you need to get. Not the best way, but if you have limited bleach availability, it is the best you can do.

Reactions: Lambert
That is correct. You have a 44000 liter pool. The bleach is 3.5%. Using PoolMath, it comes to 6.3 liters of that bleach to achieve 5 ppm FC.

You can run the SWCG at 100% for a day or two and should get to where you need to get. Not the best way, but if you have limited bleach availability, it is the best you can do.
Thank you very much!!
As soon as the cyanuric acid arrives I will dissolve 3 kg and then pour 6.3 liters of bleach.
Then I need to find out a good setting for SWCG so the level of free chlorine will be maintained. Probably a lot of measuring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.