New remote for Pentair EasyTouch - Faulty?

bobc94

Aug 18, 2020
Houston, TX
Hi All,

I have an EasyTouch Panel circa 2010. The 8 channel remote died so I purchased a new kit (receiver and remote) on Amazon that was open box (returned by customer). I've followed the connection instructions and it never pairs with the receiver. I noticed on the new receiver that the power led is lit, but the 485 Link led never lights up. On the old receiver card the 485 Link led lights up within seconds of powering the system on. I'm wondering if someone pulled a fast one on Amazon and returned a faulty card or if there is an incompatibility between the new receiver card and the main panel.

Main Panel
Version 2080
Software Ver: 2.080
Bootloader Ver: 1.010

Receiver Card
PN: 520949
Ver: 2040

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Hey Bob,
The 485 link led should blinks whenever it gets a 485 "packet" from the board, which should be every second or so. If you're not seeing any 485 led activity, then it's not talking to your outdoor board.
The RF Link led should blink when a button is pressed on the remote - assuming it's wireless address is linked - to show that there's been some receiver activity.

Since you said the old receiver's 485 led does blink, your wiring is likely OK... my initial thought is the new card is faulty. If the new transceiver card is the same type as the old one, you could just try using the old one... but I'm guessing they're different? A few questions to figure that out:
1. does the old card have a screw-on antenna?
2. There should be a big radio chipset on the card itself that has "Linx" or "Laird" written on it... Linx is the old version, Laird is the new one. What do your new and old cards have?
3. What is the FCC:ID on the back of the new remote, and is it the same as your old remote?

Tom

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Hi Tom,

The old receiver card is the older Linx chipset with the screw on antenna. The new receiver card has the Laird chipset. The old remote is 4249A-EZHNDHLD, the new remote is 4249A-EZHNDHLD2A. It's my understanding that the 2A remote is not compatible with the Linx chipset.

Thanks
Bob

Hey Bob, you are correct that they're not compatible. If you're able to return the unit I'd recommend doing that...

If you can't return it, are you able to use a multimeter to measure the current draw of the transceiver card? (when the comm chip dies on these things the card will typically draw more than the typical ~70mA)

Thanks Jim. Does there need to be a hard wire connection between the EasyTouch box outside and the ScreenLogics or does the wireless link module take care of the connection between the protocol adapter and EasyTouch?

Thanks
Bob

Bob,

You can hard-wire it or use the wireless links..

I used to use a hard-wire, until my neighbor took a lighting strike and I got what was left over..

Came in on the hard-wire and took out all my network stuff.. I use the wireless links now.. :)

You may want to use your phone for normal operation, but I suggest that you start with loading it to your PC.. Using the PC is much easier for the initial programming.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: bobc94

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Assuming you don't short anything out while wiring, just wiring in the SL won't affect your settings (be sure the breaker is off while you connect it up). It'll read them, display them, and allow you to change most of them, but it doesn't take over and start them from scratch. I've unplugged mine a few times from the ET (essentially uninstalling and reinstalling) and that didn't tweak any settings either. Same for the wired remote I installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.