New Radiant Metric 16*32 oval installation

I was dead set on mixing and pouring myself too. The truth is you can't do it by hand fast enough. There will be cold joints in the concrete which are weak spots. Including the steps we had 6-7 yards delivered.

I am all about doing everything myself. I cleared the trees, graded the yard, irrigation, built the deck, built the gazebo, dug the pool hole, assembled the pool, did the wiring, piping, filter, pump, wall, stone, etc. The ONE thing I am glad I did NOT do was the cement around the base and stairs. Mixing and pouring the apron around the top for the coping to sit on was bad enough.

This is a very long and physical project. Do yourself one favor and just let the truck come in and pour the cement. It cost me $1500, but it was so worth it.

Maybe you should start your own build thread so others can comment and help if there are any questions.
Have you dug the hole yet? Do you have a rotary laser level?

The installation guide is calling for 9.25 yards of concrete, but you only needed 6-7? He agrees with what you said and its about $1,400 for 9.25 yards delivered but if we only needed 6-7 it'd be less.

We have the excavator coming (we used when we built our house last year) to dig the hole itself (we want it to be inground) to save time and then my husband is going to do the rest from there. We do not have the rotary laser yet but he did say we needèd purchase one.

We have not bought any lighting yet because I didn't my want to spend $1,400 on 2 radiant lights. Do you recommend the Pentair lighting you went with? Was it difficult to install?
Your pool looks great, it makes me very excited to get our pool started.

I will start a pool build thread this evening!
Thank you for your help!!

The installation guide is calling for 9.25 yards of concrete, but you only needed 6-7? He agrees with what you said and its about $1,400 for 9.25 yards delivered but if we only needed 6-7 it'd be less.

We have the excavator coming (we used when we built our house last year) to dig the hole itself (we want it to be inground) to save time and then my husband is going to do the rest from there. We do not have the rotary laser yet but he did say we needèd purchase one.

We have not bought any lighting yet because I didn't my want to spend $1,400 on 2 radiant lights. Do you recommend the Pentair lighting you went with? Was it difficult to install?
Your pool looks great, it makes me very excited to get our pool started.

I will start a pool build thread this evening!
Thank you for your help!!

I had to buy 10 yards minimum. They poured until it was about 10" deep. Now, there was quite a bit remaining in the truck. They estimated how much they poured. Anyway, follow the installation guide, not me guessing.

Pentair has small lights for spas, I bought 4. Since the pool is 2" thick, it is tough to find a niche for the Pentair pool lights. They cost about $250 each and the niches are like $15.
I'll look at my records for the details and where I got them.

I found the info. At first I bough the 2 large Intelebrite LED lights, but I could not find a niche for the lights to fit in for the radiant pool wall which is 2" thick. I returned those.
Pentair makes a smaller globrite LED light and has a niche that will fit into a Radiant wall.

Here are the lights, but beware this is the 30' cord. You will have to determine what size cord you need, 50', 75', or 100' foot cord at a slightly higher price.

https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/Pentair602053GLOBRITEColorLEDPoolLight/141511p1?gclid=CjwKEAjwsqjKBRDtwOSjs6GTgmASJACRbI3fMOCZKZaG8EIMsZeD7n8h-_bQ1oQXmVx6l0dRkvlEnhoCDGvw_wcB

Here are the Niches I bought. All I had to do was drill a 2" hole in the wall and these screw right in.

https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/pentair-620039-globrite-vinyl-niche-assembly/141531p1

As you see, the pool gets lit up nicely.

Just cemented the coping yesterday with paver cement. One thing I would do differently is pour the apron concrete a little higher. One inch is a lot of space to fill with Ardex, expensive too.
c2a7c2db4bfdb60d4420bf2eded87867.jpg

Moving on to the geotextile fabric to put the sand on.

This looks great! Any regrets on not going any deeper than the standard depth?

Our local pool co in MD wants $16k for the exact same pool...

No regrets at all. We play games in the entire pool. Volleyball, basketball, make whirl pools etc.

We are at about 50" of water in the middle.

I'm just glad I bought the 16 x 32 and nothing smaller

$16k seems a bit high from other comments. What does that come with?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would like to emphasize that we did this on our own, no professionals involved.
My point is that anyone who wants to attempt to build their own Radiant pool, it is not impossible. The purpose of this thread is to show how a husband and wife can work together and build a wonderful long lasting pool. We will share our experiences with anyone who creates their own build thread and asks for help.

Thank you, your pool looks amazing and my husband and I have looked to your build as guidance many times and will continue to until it's complete. I greatly appreciate the time you took documenting your build within a thread it's so helpful! I was just sending your last post on my thread to my husband this evening for him to read since he's away on a business trip. I just wanted you to know how much we have appreciated your thread and posts!

This is why I agree with a high flow low pressure piping system. Then add to that a cartridge filter double size for the pool. Look how clear this water is. It is ALWAYS this clear.
Thanks to the experts on this site. Dive in and drink the Koop aid, it is good!
50bee98a0e831c7d642f6bb0a25d0526.jpg

Trying to post a couple of recent pics, not having much luck using tap a talk or directly logged in on the site.
We are almost done, the grass is taking root and I have to finish the wall caps. We installed a heat pump and the pool has been 84 everyday since May 2nd here in central MA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.