New Quartzscapes and leaf staining!

Jul 15, 2018
Austin, TX
Hi- I have been on this forum all throughout our build (and before) but have never posted. I am hoping for some solutions!! We have just started up the pool with quartzscapes Mariner Blue finish. We are in the brush , brush , brush stage and were told we cannot vacuum or it will leave tracks. We live in central TX and it is oak season. We are diligently removing leaves but plenty have made it the bottom and I am noticing rusty brown staining that is not removed with brushing. The "pool school" company is little help as they are not responsive and only here every so often in this stage. Any advice would be helpful as this newbie is worried that her pool is being ruined!

Hi! I got you covered for this! You CAN vacuum your pool. You will need a manual vacuum that does not have wheels. You can buy them at Walmart......you will need a hose long enough to go from the skimmer to each end of the pool. You will get a head like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swimline-Weighted-Butterfly-Vacuum-Head/382534813 oh and a pole but you should be able to use the one from your brush.

What test kit do you have? Have you been balancing your water? If not then you need to start doing so for the very reasons you are seeing already-dash and throw done by the pool service.

If you want to start taking over the care of our pool just let me know and I will get you a set of links that will help you do this!

Kim:kim:

Kim,

Thank you so much!! the pool company's pool school service says "just wait" until the leaf dump is finished and also something called Beautec. He mentioned putting granular chlorine on the stains but not sure how one does this in the deep end.

I would LOVE pointers on handling the pool ourselves. I was a lifeguard and pool manager in my younger years so although much has changed I feel I can handle it for the most part.

thanks again! getting vac from walmart today!

"just wait" until the leaf dump is finished
WHAT??? No way! Why would they even allow any kind of stain on your pretty, new plaster??? Gurrrrrrrrrrrrr NOT ON MY WATCH!!!!

Okay lets get this party started:
-Buy a test kit-look in my siggy below for the one I think is the best buy for the buck. No one will care as much for your pool as you do. The pool $tore or $ervice cares about your wallet so don't always do the right thing so.......
-Read this to learn our language: TFPC for Beginners
-Fill out YOUR siggy-what kind of pool (above or in ground), plaster or vinyl, size in gallons, kind of filter (sand, DE, cartridge), how you are adding chlorine to your pool (tablets, SWG, or??), any special features your pool has like waterfalls, fountains or such, what test kit you order

This will get us started. Now I am going to share my set of links I put together for new pool owners. It is a LOT of info so take it slow and ask LOTS of questions!!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry (this is the "big brother" to the beginners guide to TFP)

Here is a link to SWG (mentioned above) as you may not know about this so I wanted to make sure you had all the info you needed to know what is what.

You are going to LOVE how easy it is and just think! Most of this stuff you can get from Target or Lowes!!! How neat is that!!!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.