New pump

Aug 5, 2018
Dickson/TN
Hey TFP. So I'm pretty new to the pool world, I bought a house in Aug, and it came with a 18×34 oval above ground pool. I've been reading and reading here all while learning a lot. The pump that I currently have seems like an older setup and is kind of loud. It stills works but I'm weighing options on getting a new setup. My local pool guy said he would advise me to switch from the cartridge filter to a sand filter... I figured I would come here and ask what you guys/gals think in should do. Should I replace what I have and if so, with what? I tried to attach pics of what I have but it says they are too large.

After you set up your signature, please let us know why you want to change from a cartridge filter to a sand filter.. ???

If it has anything to do with algae or cloudy water, then that is the wrong approach... Filters cannot fix a chemical problems.

Thanks,

Jim R.

After you set up your signature, please let us know why you want to change from a cartridge filter to a sand filter.. ???

If it has anything to do with algae or cloudy water, then that is the wrong approach... Filters cannot fix a chemical problems.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, he was advised by a local pool guy to switch filtering systems, but why? Also need to know pool gal size to make sure any filtering system is properly matched.

Also Rom, how do you plan on taking care of your pool re chemicals? Either way, you need a TF-100 test kit...it's a must and do not use tests from pool stores...

I updated my signature and attached a picture. The sand filter wasn't my idea but the local pool guy's. I asked him to check everything out when I moved here and had no idea about pool care. He suggested going with the sand filter this spring for ease of use. The cartridge filter may be fine but the pump may need replacing. It's louder than I'd like, and I'm sure it's not as efficient being that it's a relatively cheap pump($200 from what I'm seeing). The previous owner also had some silicone on it to fix a leak I suppose. I ran it during Aug and Sept and there was no leak present so the silicone seemed to fix whatever problem they had.

I realized after the reading I've done here during the winter not to trust the pool store. I'll also be using the TF-100 test kit and not going to the local store for my chemicals.

Anymore input?
It sounds like you are on the road to a great pool owner/care experience!

Do you have a preference or need for the type of pool filter maintenance for either type?
Some people hate (or are unable) to backwash (sand filter)
Others hate dismantling and "getting" dirty (cartridge filter) (us, heehee)
We have so much dust & pollen around here, that we love the ease of backwashing the sand filter when the pressure increases. No "fuss/no muss".

It sounds like you are on the road to a great pool owner/care experience!

Do you have a preference or need for the type of pool filter maintenance for either type?
Some people hate (or are unable) to backwash (sand filter)
Others hate dismantling and "getting" dirty (cartridge filter) (us, heehee)
We have so much dust & pollen around here, that we love the ease of backwashing the sand filter when the pressure increases. No "fuss/no muss".

I don't have a preference or a need (this is all new to me). I don't mind getting a little dirty lol. I could probably just keep the current cartridge filter and just replace the pump. I have done some reading on the pros and cons of both types of filters.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.