new pump size (plus plumbing question)

stonefeet

Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2018
Elkin, NC
getting ready to pull the trigger on a new pump.

going from single speed 1.5hp to either Pentair 342001 or Pentair 011018, i've got all 1.5" plumbing and that's never going to change, I wasn't sure if the 011018 running at full blast would potentially damage any of the plumbing or would I only be able to run it at more or less half speed max?
3 settings on the 342001 should be fine for my setup (i hope all that stuff is still in my signature) but everyone loves more options

i'll hold off on the plumbing question until i can get a picture, replacing the diverter valve and the pipe from the old valve to the pump doesn't run straight to the pump, it comes out of the valve and makes a U then goes to the pump, didn't know if that thing served a purpose or can i just cut that out and run a pipe straight from the valve to the pump (typed this out so that i don't forget) i'll get an actual picture later

thanks (learned a lot by lurking here over the past year)

The Superflo is fine, if, you never plan to have automation. It cannot hook up to an automation system. On the other hand, the Intelliflo is the gold standard of VS pumps. It will work just fine with your plumbing. I never run my Intelliflo at full speed. They are variable HP, so you can run it at whatever speed you need. Do realize that at the same rate, the Intelliflo will consume less electricity than the Superflo. Not a lot of difference, but a difference.

Do be aware that Pentair only provides a 60 day warranty on DIY installs. Not a big deal unless you are hung up on warranties.

SF,

The used the "loop" because they did not use a pump union which would have allowed them to make up all the connections and then connect the pump. Much harder to do if you have to thread in the connector at the pump end. If you bought the SuperFlo VS , it comes with unions. The IntelliFlo does not. You can't buy pump unions at Home Depot... They look like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-IntelliFlo-Threaded-Plumbing-Unions/dp/B01LQK9VAW

My personal opinion is that only an idiot would connect a $1000 IntelliFlo without pump unions.. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks and that’s how it’ll be when I redo it all. For sure.

Still on the fence about Intelliflo versus superflo. I’ll never ever have automation. Sounds like all I would really gain is 5 more rpm settings and some energy efficiency which is important ( I got smoked on power bill last year running that old 1.5 24/7) but not sure if it’s worth the extra few hundred.

I know it’s not necessary to go above what you need with Intelliflo but what could/would happen if you did. I guess the question really is could the plumbing in theory handle it? It’s kind of a weird question but that’s just my curious nature.

sf,

You don't "need" the IntelliFlo but it can't hurt your plumbing.. I have two IntelliFlo pumps at rent houses with 1.5" plumbing that have been running 24/7 for the past 6 or 7 years...

I have an IntelliFlo at my house that I run 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month...

In my mind, the IntelliFlo is the Gold Standard of pool pumps.. But, it does cost more. The SuperFlo VS is a very close second, and should work fine for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

sf,

You don't "need" the IntelliFlo but it can't hurt your plumbing.. I have two IntelliFlo pumps at rent houses with 1.5" plumbing that have been running 24/7 for the past 6 or 7 years...

I have an IntelliFlo at my house that I run 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month...

In my mind, the IntelliFlo is the Gold Standard of pool pumps.. But, it does cost more. The SuperFlo VS is a very close second, and should work fine for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, more food for thought, not worried about the money just want to have all my ducks in a row before I go in.

I’d bet that old pump was costing me $80-$100 per month last year. $20 sounds magical. Hopefully it won’t be rain fest all summer like last year and we can get out there more.

Thanks for the help everyone (again)

The only thing to be a little concerned about is the SD 40 filter. It has a design flow rate of 40 GPM which the Intelliflo would likely exceed by quite a bit on full speed.

I too chose the SuperFlo for my simple system and have no regrets. You will be amazed at the noise level difference. I also installed the pump union o-ring connections which made it much easier to plumb and provides easy pump removal if required. Although I have seen many installations with pumps unsecured I attached mine to the concrete pad with anchors and bolts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, we installed it 2 weeks ago along with a flowvis and new Jandy valve.

Had some free time today to see if it would prime and get all the air out of the filter for Saturday opening.

No leaks in the plumbing we did (thankfully I was worried) but the pressure side union was leaking bad so I’m guessing when we put it on the o ring fell out of place (it was a tricky one. Just gotta fix that and off we go.

It was remarkable how much faster it primed and started blowing water than the dinosaur. Full blast the flowvis was pegged so I should be able to have a tremendous energy savings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.