New pump, robot, and SWG - SLAM time!

MasterTinkerer

Gold Supporter
Nov 28, 2016
Helena, AL
I'm in the process of a massive overhaul of my equipment. What started off as a mission to pour some concrete has found me replacing everything...
https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/155289-Next-project-pool-equipment-pad-and-replumb

Although the work is not yet completed, I'm already thinking about what's going to happen once I get everything hooked up.

My pool is green right now... worst it has been in the 1.5 years that we've lived in this house. I never let it go this far in the past. I did SLAM last year, but not with the new SWG, variable speed pump, and robot. So, I have a few questions...

Q1 - Should I put the robot in the pool before I get the green gone? On one hand, I think that it would help get everything cleaned up faster... on the other hand, I don't want to completely infect it with algae.

Q2 - Should I turn on (or plumb in) the SWG before I get the green under control?

Q3 - The instructions say to leave the pump running the whole time... at what speed should I have the variable speed running? Full blast? Low speed?

Thanks in advance!

1. Maybe, I would not, brush the whole pool though.

2. No, you need lots of clorine and your just wasting hours on your swg. Use bleach.

3. Full, you want to get rig of all the dead algae as possible.

You can start to fight the algae or prevent it from getting worse by pouring bleach and brushing to circulate it around.

Just a caution, not sure what the hp was of the old pump vs the new pump. You may not want to ever run the new pump at full rpm. For example, I had a 1 hp single speed and replaced it with a 1.5 hp vs. As a result I never run the new pump full speed. I used the pressure on the filter to determine my max speed.

B,

I would run your new pump at 2000 rpm... That should be plenty and not cost you an arm and a leg...

I would not put your new robot in the pool with SLAM FC... It could bleach out the color...

I would not even plumb the cell while doing the SLAM... Most likely the only one you will ever have to do... :cool:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.