New Pump (or motor)?

NLITP

Gold Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix
My old pump that came with the house appears dead. It is a Hayward Super II 2HP pump (SP3020EEAZ). So, I'm looking for recommendations on whether to try replacing the motor or get a new pump.

I've been running this pump for 2 hours a day (even during summer), so was thinking I'd never get my money back on a variable speed, at least from the calculations I've performed.

I believe my current pump is oversized for my pool, but not exactly sure. I don't have any fountains or the like, but do have a spill-over connected spa. We've never used the spa (the heater was DOA when we purchased the house), but whatever pump solution we go with needs to support a heater for the spa (if that matters). The pool is roughly 18K or 18.5K gallon, in ground pool, the deep end is 8 feet.

Current Filter: Hayward Swimclear 5030 (Effective filtration rate: 525 ft(sq); design flow rate: 150)

What other information do I need to provide to get good recommendations? Thanks!

Label on the motor attached below:

pool-motor-label.jpg

Typically at least a two speed motor is worth it as you can run on low speed for normal filtering and high speed for spa use. You stated you do not use the spa but a replacement motor must be able to run the spa. Just wanted to confirm that.

I will refer your post to someone that can give some advice.

Take care.

Typically at least a two speed motor is worth it as you can run on low speed for normal filtering and high speed for spa use. You stated you do not use the spa but a replacement motor must be able to run the spa. Just wanted to confirm that.
Take care.

Thanks... yes I still don't want to close off the possibility of running the spa at some point.

I agree that a 2-speed motor would be ideal for your application. As stated before, you would circulate the pool water on low speed and only use the high speed when operating the spa or vacuuming/backwashing.

If the pump housing is in good shape, I would replace the motor and not the complete pump. A 2-speed motor option for your ST1202 would be model B2979.

The motor does not come with a switch for the speeds. If you need one, the switch is part number 17590450.

Thanks everyone. The pump age is unknown... it came with the house, but I'm guessing ancient... I'm guessing 400 B.C. ;)

I was thinking about installing a variable speed motor in my ancient pump, but was not willing to risk putting in a new motor only to have to replace the wet end soon, too. I know a 2-speed would have worked perfectly, but splurged on a Pentair variable speed... and here is why.

I run the pump in the AM so when I wake up, I can add chemicals during its scheduled run. My wife and I would wake up on a Saturday morning and like to sit out in the back yard to relax and do the coffee thing. But, the peace and quiet just wasn't quite there do to our really noisy, single speed 2 HP pump. Now with the variable speed, its not audible from our sitting location, even at my cleaning speed of 2350 RPM. It makes a world of difference to set outside in peace and quiet. All is right with the world again. :)

BTW - I've posted about an air leak that I've been searching for (off and on) for weeks. I thought for sure it was a pressure side leak. Long story short, after the new pump was installed... no more leak. So, it was definitely on the suction side. Oh well, I guess I don't have a future in a pool repair service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.